(SOLVED) NVME as UD (Corsair MP600) keeps disappearing

FQs19
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Super new to Unraid and trying to learn as much as possible by searching the forums and such, but I'm having an issue that I can't fix. 

My NVME drive, which is used as an Unassigned Device, keeps disappearing. I think the issue might be that my old motherboard (Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-UD5H-BK) isn't quite compatible with it. Like it doesn't show SMART status and I can't run a SMART test. It also looks like when TRIM tries to run on the NVME, it errors out then disappears. 

To get the NVME to reappear, I have to shutdown, pull it, reboot, then shutdown and put the NVME back in, then start back up. 

I only have one Docker, Plex, and it's run off the NVME. The SYSTEM folder is also on the NVME. Not sure if it's okay to have it there, but for the first couple weeks of running Unraid there wasn't an issue with them there. 

I'm running the latest stable version of Unraid 6.8.3. 

I'm using the following Plugins: CA Auto Update, CA Backup/Restore, CA Cleanup Data, CA Mover, Community Applications, Dynamix Active Streams, Dynamix Cache Directories, Dynamix S3 Sleep (which I'm not currently using), Dynamix SSD Trim, Dynamix System Buttons, Dynamix System Information, Dynamix System Statistics, Dynamix System Temperature, Fix Common Problems, Nerd Tools (Perl only running), Preclear Disks, Tips and Tweaks, Unassigned Devices, Unassigned Devices Plus. 

Hardware is: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK board with Intel i7-4790K (not overclocked), 16GB DDR3 2133MHz memory, 2 WD Red Pro drives for Parity, 1 WD Red and 1 Toshiba drive in array, 2 Samsung 840 Pro SSDs and 1 Crucial MX500 SSD for Cache, 1 Corsair MP600 NVME as Unassigned Device. 

My motherboard bios and all Unraid software is up to date. 

I'm not using a video card, just the internal Intel graphics as of now. 

Any help understanding and resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

If you need more info, please ask and I'll provide whatever you need. 

I'm trying to build this Unraid system so that I can move my current HTPC system running Plex with Drive Pool over to Unraid for a more efficient use of my hard drives. 

Thanks in advance. 

unraid-diagnostics-20200905-2047.zip

Just wanted to add that the NVME shows on the Dashboard page and on the Main page under Historical as missing.  

If I click on the NVME drive on the Dashboard it shows as Unavailable - disk needs to be spun up. 

I usually never look on the Dashboard page, so I never noticed it was showing there and I didn't have on Complete on the Main page so I didn't see it listed under Historical. 

When I click on Spin Up, nothing happens. The drive still doesn't show up on the Main page. 

Edited by FQs19
  • Solution

NVMe is dropping offline:

Sep  5 13:38:54 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: I/O 771 QID 7 timeout, aborting
Sep  5 13:38:54 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: I/O 772 QID 7 timeout, aborting
Sep  5 13:38:54 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: I/O 773 QID 7 timeout, aborting
Sep  5 13:38:54 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: I/O 234 QID 1 timeout, aborting
Sep  5 13:39:24 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: I/O 771 QID 7 timeout, reset controller
Sep  5 13:39:54 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: I/O 0 QID 0 timeout, reset controller
Sep  5 13:40:57 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting reset
Sep  5 13:40:57 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: Abort status: 0x7
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 3 TIMES] ###
Sep  5 13:41:27 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting reset
Sep  5 13:41:27 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19
Sep  5 13:41:58 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting reset

This sometimes helps, some NVMe devices have issues with power states on Linux, try this, on the main GUI page click on flash, scroll down to "Syslinux Configuration", make sure it's set to "menu view" (on the top right) and add this to your default boot option, after "append" and before "initrd=/bzroot"

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0

Reboot and see if it makes a difference, if it doesn't you can try the latest beta, newer kernel might also help, if not try a different model NVMe device if possible.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Sep  5 13:39:24 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: I/O 771 QID 7 timeout, reset controller
Sep  5 13:39:54 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: I/O 0 QID 0 timeout, reset controller
Sep  5 13:41:27 Unraid kernel: nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19

This sometimes helps, some NVMe devices have issues with power states on Linux, try this, on the main GUI page click on flash, scroll down to "Syslinux Configuration", make sure it's set to "menu view" (on the top right) and add this to your default boot option, after "append" and before "initrd=/bzroot"

Reboot and see if it makes a difference, if it doesn't you can try the latest beta, newer kernel might also help, if not try a different model NVMe device if possible.

Thanks for the reply. I did read about doing this, but haven't tried it because I was trying to find out if I should add that line to every Label like Unraid OS, Unraid OS GUI Mode, Unraid OS Safe Mode, etc.. 

I added to every startup label, is that correct?

1413272763_Image9-6-20at9_24AM.jpeg.55dc6acb7dbf5755c33b46f493c5ce1f.jpeg

Or do I just add it to the first label Unraid OS?

Also, under Unassigned Devices, I have Spin Down Disks? set to No

Does this setting not affect NVME drives? Because at first I thought that was the issue. 

@JorgeB

If I update to the latest Next Branch beta, 6.9.0-beta25, CA Mover is not compatible. 

Checking for plugin compatibility
Issue Found: ca.mover.tuning.plg is not compatible with 6.9.0-beta25. It is HIGHLY recommended to uninstall this plugin.

Is this the forum post to find out what to be aware of on the beta and how to get CA mover to work?

On 9/6/2020 at 3:55 AM, JorgeB said:

It's been a couple days and my NVME hasn't dropped offline or given any errors in the syslog. 

So that system config worked. 

Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1
  • FQs19 changed the title to (SOLVED) NVME as UD (Corsair MP600) keeps disappearing