[SOLVED] I screwed up my file permissions how to fix?

je82

So i saw that my /Backup/ share had weird permissions...

2 folders in the root folder had only access from one user yet in unraid the share is permitted from multiple users.

Stupid like i automatically figured that the "New Permission" tool would account for my current user accounts that i've created and apply those to the share when ran.

Turns out it applies user nobody:users to everything!

How do i make unraid run its permission WITH the settings i have in the share configuration?

Also its pretty dump that Select Disks and Select share is on the same menu, because a share can be on multiple disks so i figured if i select the share in particular i want to run permissions on and then select ALL disks (because a share can like i said be spread out over alll disks) i though it would only run on that particular share, but it ran on everything in the entire unraid array.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by je82
23 minutes ago, je82 said:

Turns out it applies user nobody:users to everything!

That is actually the proper permissions for SMB access (since the users you've created are all part of the users group).  Many files however do get created with the user as owner, but there is nothing incorrect about nobody:users as the owner / group.

The permissions you've set for your users will still be valid.

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

That is actually the proper permissions for SMB access (since the users you've created are all part of the users group).  Many files however do get created with the user as owner, but there is nothing incorrect about nobody:users as the owner / group.

The permissions you've set for your users will still be valid.

Yeah seems like shares are working like normal, but i am worried about my docker installation: "Note that this tool may negatively affect any docker containers if you allow your appdata share to be included."

As i said, i though by selecting the share and then selecting all drives it would only target the particular share that may be spread over _all drives_ but it ran on everything, i cancelled the command pretty quickly but it ran through entire /mnt/cache so everything is nobody:users now, is this bad?

I've not noticed any issues, but i really want to know what kind of issues this can create and if there's something i can do to restore it to whatever it was before i made this mistake?

Edited by je82

Follow up questions:

1. when  i first accidentally ran the command on everything i exited out before it had completed, issues could occur yes/no?

2. what exactly is it doing when it says "sync" ? Since i exited out before it had completed obviously it missed syncing, i have no idea what syncing means so i need to know what that does so i can figure out if i will have issues

image.png.59fe0f5d37fb86c892dc501275e7ac34.png

Edited by je82
33 minutes ago, je82 said:

1. when  i first accidentally ran the command on everything i exited out before it had completed, issues could occur yes/no?

no.  It just cancels the script

34 minutes ago, je82 said:

2. what exactly is it doing when it says "sync"

Flushing all the writes from RAM to the hard drive.  Akin to "Safely Eject" on Windows for USB.

• Thanks 1