Best GPU for easy passthrough?

SPOautos

I'm struggling to passthrough a RX580 and I've got so much other stuff to do I think I just want to switch to a different video card that will easily work. What are some options of cards that easily pass through?

I might keep the rx580 in there to let Unraid use it and have a second one for VM that will be okay for gaming (not crazy hardcore gaming but something thatll work as good as a RX580). I'd be looking for one that is used for under $200. 

Are there some options that just pass through without a lot of work figuring out how to make it work?

okay, someone just told me that running a second card dedicated to Unraid helped them get a rx580 passed through. I actually wanted a second card anyway because I mostly use Unraid directly and when the VM is on the Unraid goes blank. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on a video card that will be good too use just for Unraid that has HDMI and a good picture for a big screen ( I pull Unraid up on a 55" HD tv). Something cheap enough that if it doesnt help with the RX580 issue, I wont care lol

I don't know if it helps you, but I got my hands on a second hand on a MSI GTX 760 that I passed through to my Plex docker.

I've heard (don't blindly trust me on this) that AMD GPU's are harder to passthrough.
I'm in no way an expert in any way. I just went for Nvidia since that works with Plex, and AMD doens't.

2 hours ago, Nanobug said:

I don't know if it helps you, but I got my hands on a second hand on a MSI GTX 760 that I passed through to my Plex docker.

I've heard (don't blindly trust me on this) that AMD GPU's are harder to passthrough.
I'm in no way an expert in any way. I just went for Nvidia since that works with Plex, and AMD doens't.

Does it easily pass though with a Windows 10 VM?  

Ultimatly I just want two video cards, one for Unraid and one for W10 passthrough for gaming.  I can sell my RX580, I just want to get something that works good with Unraid and doesnt require a lot of trial and error and various hacks to get it working.....but I'm not sure which two cards that would be.

1 hour ago, SPOautos said:

Does it easily pass though with a Windows 10 VM?  

Ultimatly I just want two video cards, one for Unraid and one for W10 passthrough for gaming.  I can sell my RX580, I just want to get something that works good with Unraid and doesnt require a lot of trial and error and various hacks to get it working.....but I'm not sure which two cards that would be.

I'm not sure, I've only done it to a docker.
But Space Invader One made some passthrough videos:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SpaceinvaderOne/search?query=passthrough

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DrJake said:

hello, any resolutions to passing through the RX580?

I'm stuck at there too. Watched SpaceinvaderOne's video, still stuck on black screen...

The RX580 generally can only be passed through if the BIOS boots Unraid on a different (primary) graphic card. There isn't any resolution since the issue lies in the card.

32 minutes ago, testdasi said:

The RX580 generally can only be passed through if the BIOS boots Unraid on a different (primary) graphic card. There isn't any resolution since the issue lies in the card.

That's rough.
From what I understand, you're "tricking" it by using another card, but then you'd have to have another card to use.

Hello,

i have a MSI RX580 Phantom OC in 2nd PCI. In the first pci there is a GTi660ti. It will not work. I have tested several roms from techpowerup.

Windows runs fine with passthrough but i need MacOS.

After one week of trying to get it run i am thinking of deleting Unraid.

Mac Os is the most important for me. 

If you have just have one GPU but a iGPU i have heard that Unraid will take the iGPU and you can use the other GPU for passthrough. 

41 minutes ago, ipxl said:

Hello,

i have a MSI RX580 Phantom OC in 2nd PCI. In the first pci there is a GTi660ti. It will not work. I have tested several roms from techpowerup.

Windows runs fine with passthrough but i need MacOS.

After one week of trying to get it run i am thinking of deleting Unraid.

Mac Os is the most important for me. 

If you have just have one GPU but a iGPU i have heard that Unraid will take the iGPU and you can use the other GPU for passthrough. 

I'm sure it's possible. I just can't tell you how.
But since this is your first post here, you should wait for a proper reply.

13 hours ago, Nanobug said:
13 hours ago, testdasi said:

That's rough.
From what I understand, you're "tricking" it by using another card, but then you'd have to have another card to use.

I dont really know what I'm talking about, but I can confirm that passing through RX580 (only GPU) is working on my setup. I left detail notes in the other thread 

9 hours ago, DrJake said:

I dont really know what I'm talking about, but I can confirm that passing through RX580 (only GPU) is working on my setup. I left detail notes in the other thread

Quoting from your post, I wouldn't call this working. In any case, you are the first report of a primary RX580 pass-through working (albeit intermittently) that I know of so maybe AMD is finally starting to fix stuff.

"Think some luck is involved, after starting the VM, and seeing a black screen, I went on to reading forums on the other computer. Prob after couple minutes delay the screen just came on... I tried to passthrough the keyboard and mouse afterwards (quite straight forward, just 2 checkboxes in VM settings), that seems to have messed with the GPU passthrough which didnt work for a while (even when all the settings were the same as before, when it did work :s). Anyways, after a few VM restarts, everything seems to work again................... Luck I tell you, this doesnt make sense to me...."

19 hours ago, DrJake said:

It is running with windows. But Mac Os still crashes 😞

I haven´t found a fix. 

GPU Passthrough in Windows 10 is running fine.

GPU Passthrough in Mac Os Catalina and Mojave crashes. 

• 2 years later...