macOS users - AutoMount your Shares

Thanks. I recently had to downgrade my server to 6.1.9. Seems there is some issue with vs 6.2 of unRaid and SuperMicro motherboards where the server won't boot. Mine worked fine for months and then suddenly stopped booting???

Anyway, never saw this issue with 6.2.4. Don't remember seeing any log entries for the connections. Maybe there is some way to stop the logging in 6.1.9 as well.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone tell me how I could go about determining how to maintain a connection from my Mac running macOS Sierra to my unRAID server? I have tried so many different things including Automounter. Why is this even a problem?

You shouldn't have an issue maintaining a connection, if you're not changing networks etc. Sounds like another issue...  AutoMounter will re-mount your shares if they eject themselves, but if that's happening often then perhaps you have a network issue.

I suspected cruft on the server so I performed a clean install including formatting all drives including the flash drive.

unRAID came up uneventfully. I created one smb share.

My home network is very simple. ATT uVerse router. My iMac and my PC are both set to static ip addresses. They both connect to a Buffalo unmanaged gigabit switch which is connected straight to the router.

The iMac simply refuses to maintain a reliable connection to the unRAID server. I guess I am going to start swapping cables.

Any help would be appreciated.

I suspected cruft on the server so I performed a clean install including formatting all drives including the flash drive.

unRAID came up uneventfully. I created one smb share.

My home network is very simple. ATT uVerse router. My iMac and my PC are both set to static ip addresses. They both connect to a Buffalo unmanaged gigabit switch which is connected straight to the router.

The iMac simply refuses to maintain a reliable connection to the unRAID server. I guess I am going to start swapping cables.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hiya - my recommendation would be to create a new thread in General Support. First start with checking Network Utility to see if you have any packet errors, and check unRAID server logs for any signs of issues.

Andrew,

I installed unRaid from scratch. No change. I switched cables no change. I deleted all references in Keychain relating to unRAID and its IP address. No change. I created a new user. No change. I have just burned out on unRAID.

Because I already had a license for NASLite (in use), I could buy another license of NASLite-M2 x64 for $22.72.

Within 2 hours, I had the software installed on a USB thumbdrive, formatted all my disks, and setup rsynch backups.

I created multiple streams of simple Finder copies to the NASLite. Photos. 3d projects. Substantial iTunes library. Went to bed, Next morning all my data had been copied to the NASLite and backed up to mirror drives. The shares were still patiently waiting on my desktop, ready to go.

The server has been rock solid for days. I pointed iTunes at the Media folder and it picked up all my files.

I don’t care that NASLite is updated very rarely ( years between releases ). Its feature set is fine for my home office needs.

I am still intrigued by unRAID's virtualization and docker support. I may build a machine that can take advantage of that one day and try it again. But in the meantime, I have work to do and unRAID has been a time sink for me.

BTW Automounter seems to have trouble with NASLite share. I will be glad to help you trouble shoot that if you want unless you have already solved that. I am just putting the disk shares into my account Login items and that seems to work perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

Spence

Hi Spence,

That's a real shame - that doesn't echo the experience of most other users here. Unfortunately troubleshooting those rare intermittent issues can be difficult and time consuming, and you really need industry professionals to assist. Did you contact Limetech with your issues / logs? My experience with the Limetech team has been nothing but stellar.

For your share mounting issue, feel free to email me with logs following these instructions: http://www.pixeleyes.co.nz/automounter/support/index.html#collectlogs

Cheers,

Andrew

Thank you for asking, Andrew.

I really wish Lime Technology all the best. I think they have a fascinating product, but one that I just was not able to make work with the hardware I had. They did respond by asking that I start a thread on the forum. I had actually offered to pay for a service call to get this straightened out.

In the end, I just had to move on.

Spencer