Discussion Point - Separating 24x7 services to separate machine

Hi, so Unraid has been my experiment in trying to run everything on one box.  It's worked very well really, but of course the one area that was always going to be a problem was me.  I mean I like to mess with stuff and that becomes a problem with downtime.

So, I'm thinking I'll move back to having a separate machine for the 24x7 stuff.  This is some basic stuff, Wordpress sites, Mattermost chat, mariadb / postgresql, lets encrypt docker now called swag of course, nextcloud, taiga and lancache.  I think that's it really.  Oh and my mail server.

So I figure I can just get an extra basic unraid licence throw my little Dell SFF at it, it'll take 2xSSD's inside it and with unraid can boot off the usb.

Problem number one though, is file system.  To run it in a mirror, I must use btrfs.  I want to use ZFS, but since it only has 2sata connections I'm screwed because unraid will only allow dockers to run, if there is a started non-zfs array.  Also, I have had a lot of trouble with btrfs so I'm not very happy about putting critical data on it.

Nevertheless it appears my only option.  Can anyone else think of another?  Is there anything I can do with the new beta that allows me to run docker without the unraid array running?  I could just roll ubuntu, but I'd have to make it boot from usb and it's more effort than I'd like.

I thought about proxmox / freenas, but neither boot from USB and my SSD's are two tiny 150G enterprise by Intel.  Perfect for what I need, but probably not going to fit everything if I install the OS on there as well.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Marshalleq

I could add a USB array.  I do have a 5 bay USB QNAP box at a friends house I could use.  It'd be starting to waste a lot of disks on parity though.  Will be awesome if they get ZFS into unraid eventually - problem would be solved hopefully.  As long as it's not tethered to being in Unraids array only or something.