Can't get to login page

Hey all.  I have an interesting problem that has arisen over the past 2 days.  In short, when I wake up in the morning and try to login to my server, I can't.  The IP of my server is 192.168.1.49.  I get no response or I have got a nginx 500 internal server error.  I have recently added 2-8gig sticks of RAM, and I have recently swapped letsencryt to the new repository for the SWAG update.  I have also added a 1TB SSD to run my VM on an unassigned drive.  When this happens, I can get to my bitwarden website, Plex seems to be running fine, but Nextcloud is down completely which leads me to think something is wrong with SWAG.  The only thing I changed when I swapped out the repository was just that.  Or, could it be a RAM issue where one of the sticks is misbehaving.  I have 2-16Gig sticks and 2-8-Gig Sticks in my humble server.  I am not sure how to get the syslogs when this is occurring since the only way to access the server is to reboot.  Any help in pointing to a solution would be appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20200907-0802.zip

booted up in safe mode, running parity check, and I have received general protection fault: 0000 [#1] SMP NOPTI  

any ideas?  it looks like the parity check slowed down immensely but it is still going.

from syslog:

Sep 9 14:57:05 Tower kernel: CPU: 6 PID: 2700 Comm: unraidd0 Tainted: P O 4.19.107-Unraid #1 Sep 9 14:57:05 Tower kernel: Call Trace:

Sep 9 14:57:05 Tower kernel: CPU: 6 PID: 2700 Comm: unraidd0 Tainted: P D O 4.19.107-Unraid #1 Sep 9 14:57:05 Tower kernel: Call Trace:

Edited by ZosoPage1963
added syslog

in my setup, I have 4 ddr4-3200 16G sticks.  2 were bought 6 months ago, 2 were bought this last tuesday.  They are both Balistix, but one of them is called Balistix Sport.  I know this is not an Unraid issue any longer, but maybe, just maybe someone would be nice to school me on why I am obviously having a memory issue when I am using the same speed memory?  

20200910_113725.jpg

Just now, civic95man said:

looks like you're mixing single rank with dual between those two types of sticks.  Don't know if that is considered a big no-no.  But since you're running dual rank in [some] configuration with 4 sticks, try lowering the RAM speed to 1866, since 2133 might be considered an overclock.

thanks for the reply!!! How can you tell the difference?  Did I miss something stupid or is it just an experience thing?

12 minutes ago, ZosoPage1963 said:

Did I miss something stupid or is it just an experience thing?

Just looking through your diagnostics says everything about your configuration, which is nice to spot things like this.  Looking at system\meminfo.txt in the diagnostics, it lists details about your memory. Two of the sticks say this:

Speed: 2133 MT/s
Manufacturer: Unknown
Serial Number: E0F78509
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: BLS16G4D32AESB.M16FE

While two other say this:

Serial Number: 00000000
Part Number: F4-3200C16-8GVKB

Then referring to this for the proper speed

Edited by civic95man
2 minutes ago, civic95man said:

Just looking through your diagnostics says everything about your configuration, which is nice to spot things like this.  Looking at system\meminfo.txt in the diagnostics, it lists details about your memory. Two of the sticks say this:

Serial Number: E0F78509
Part Number: BLS16G4D32AESB.M16FE

While two other say this:

Serial Number: 00000000
Part Number: F4-3200C16-8GVKB

Awesome, thank you for the help.  I thought that the speed of the RAM was reflected in the number after DDR4... in my case, it is 3200.  RAM has always been difficult for me, and I thought I had it worked out, but obviously, I haven't and need to read a bit more.  Thanks for the schooling.

7 minutes ago, ZosoPage1963 said:

Awesome, thank you for the help.  I thought that the speed of the RAM was reflected in the number after DDR4... in my case, it is 3200.  RAM has always been difficult for me, and I thought I had it worked out, but obviously, I haven't and need to read a bit more.  Thanks for the schooling.

No prob. and that is the advertised speed that the memory itself can operate at - but it is dependent on if the CPU and motherboard support that speed as well.  In the case of Ryzen, there are a lot of factors that come into play.

9 hours ago, civic95man said:

In the case of Ryzen, there are a lot of factors that come into play.

Yeah, I like AMD and just recently bough my first AMD CPU since the Athlon 64X2, but wish AMD did the same as Intel for RAM speeds, i.e. 10th gen Core CPUs support up to 2933MHz, doesn't matter if you have one or all DIMMs slots used, Ryzen 3rd gen supports "up to" 3200Mhz, most users then don't know that max speed is based on number of DIMMs/ranks used.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Yeah, I like AMD and just recently bough my first AMD CPU since the Athlon 64X2, but wish AMD did the same as Intel for RAM speeds, i.e. 10th gen Core CPUs support up to 2933MHz, doesn't matter if you have one or all DIMMs slots used, Ryzen 3rd gen supports "up to" 3200Mhz, most users then don't know that max speed is based on number of DIMMs/ranks used.

so, since I believe I have 1st gen Ryzen, I should go into my bios and downgrade the DDR4-3200 RAM that I have to the max that is allowed.  Or, if I am leaving it at 3200, I am basically overclocking the RAM.  Correct?  Or, even better... dump Ryzen and go with Intel and swap motherboard and cpu out...

2 hours ago, ZosoPage1963 said:

so, since I believe I have 1st gen Ryzen

I believe you have a second gen Ryzen, but then again AMD's naming convention confuses me.  Set the memory speed to 1866 in the bios and try running a few cycles of memtest with all of your RAM installed and see how that goes.  If it passes then that was probably the cause of all of your issues.

2 hours ago, ZosoPage1963 said:

Or, even better... dump Ryzen and go with Intel and swap motherboard and cpu out...

Since you already have it, might as well stick with it and see if the above fixes your problems.

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

My last AMD system was an Athlon 64x2 as well.  And I would never have known about the Ryzen memory speed issues if it weren't for this forum.  I suspect windows just handles these problems better when the memory is overclocked. either that or people just figure windows is being windows when it crashes.

Edited by civic95man