What am I missing?

tonycass

I am very new to unraid - I have about 3 months under my belt with an unraid server.  I went in this direction after my Synology NAS started failing after 6 years. (no data loss!!!).  I have everything configured just the way I need it .... plex server, plenty of shares, loads of space with parity protection, VM's, VPN ..... 

BUT

I am AMAZED that there is no easy way to sync unraid shares with a cloud provider.   I took Synology's cloud sync service for granted.  One feature in particular was using OneDrives photo sync to push photos to the cloud and then have them appear on my NAS .... WHILE ON VACATION AWAY FROM MY SERVER.   

OneDrive, Google Drive, and OpenDrive all all reasonably priced cloud storage providers that I would like to keep SOME of my data synced without relying on a laptop or other PC.  I love my always on, headless, parity protected server.  Just let me easily sync some of this data to the cloud ....

Am I missing something?  

This is one way correct?  If I happen to add files to my cloud provider NOT from the unraid server I would like for that to be pulled down as well.

I understand the difficulty here.  If I am a cloud provider I have incentive to create desktop apps that reach a wide audience.  Much of what is enjoyed on the unraid platform is created by the community.  I'm just surprised that no one has tackled a sync platform for cloud storage.  Resilio sync works great for syncing data between my main laptop and my server .... BUT I don't keep all of my data on my laptop ... 

It seems the main workaround folks have tried is spinning up a VM on the server to sync with the cloud.  Is there a recent tutorial that can be shared? 

generally speaking, yeah i think rsync is one way. a quick google looks like some people have set up a 2 way sync with some trickery, but ymmv. 

could you be more specific about your specific use case? i'm asking because, if the main usecase is for pushing remotely available drive storage, then there are other solutions. you mentioned syncing your photos remotely with onedrive earlier - this seems like a perfect job for nextcloud, also negating the use of a cloud storage provider. I sync all my photos remotely (via ios app or web browser) and locally on my nextcloud instance hosted on my server. 

I just setup Nextcloud last night with a Reverse Proxy (Subdomain/Let’sEncrypt) based on @SpaceInvaderOne's 2 videos and it works like a charm. I've been offloading my iOS photos all day. Dang near instantaneously, even with the secure encryption. Minor tweaking from his vids in 2020, but not too bad. Definitely some things you need to know though.

I can even pass/use the UNRAID shares as if they are native folders with Nextcloud using the Nextcloud external devices plugin. I can now ingest/output data from any client/device/Unraid as a single secure bucket internally and externally.

Setting up upload request folders and/or sharing folders with links is going to be amazing for friends and family, especially during the holidays. I feel like I just consolidated all my social circles in 1 spot, and I own it. Not social media companies. Finally, friends and family can now even use my massive server as an offsite backup repository, and that then gets backed up into the cloud (Duplicacy - See Below).

I shared 1.5 GB of photos off my brother’s old phone from 6 years ago (he lost the photos and didn’t even know I had them) and he downloaded the entire folder in minutes. Safer than We Transfer because it is my server, and my domain, and everything is secure. I’m super impressed! Needless to say, Dropbox is getting dropped.

On the native UNRAID backup front, I ended up going with Duplicacy (Duplicati was unstable), and Unlimited Google Drive for Business. I am running both my Backups and Nextcloud off my personal domain registered with GoDaddy on the cheap and Duck DNS.

My UNRAID server went from being amazingly useful to LUDICROUS MODE in less than a week, and I’ve been running UNRAID since 2014...

Let me know if you need any help. I’ve been busy on these topics recently...

As always, I wanted to Personally thank Ed @SpaceInvaderOne for his extremely helpful advice and videos!

Edited by falconexe
On 9/9/2020 at 9:00 PM, falconexe said:

My UNRAID server went from being amazingly useful to LUDICROUS MODE in less than a week, and I’ve been running UNRAID since 2014...

Well NextCloud was the next thing since sliced bread, until THIS!!! What's after LUDICROUS MODE? Comb the Dessert Mode? Anyone? Anyone? 😂

Next Level UNRAID...