[Guide] How to use a Share as a Steam library

JustOverride

This guide will help you setup an UNRAID share to be used as an steam install folder with a higher success rate than other options.

Things you will need;

a) Another drive other than C:\. (otherwise you would need to create a "fake" drive via a regedit.

b) Download this program to make a hard link, Dlinker.

1) If you haven't already, create a share on UNRAID that you wish to use for the installation and storage of your steam games. Lets call it SteamGames

2) Create a folder on another drive other than the default steam install drive (this is usually in C:\). So create a normal folder on D:\GamesFolder that we're going to use to point to the server.

3) Using the program we just downloaded, Dlinker, fill the information as shown below.

image.png.c0bacf8712fcdae20447f8fc1e660c4f.png

192.168.1.190 <- This should be your UNRAID server's IP address.

SteamGames <- This should be your UNRAID share gaming share's name.

Then press 'Go!'.

4) On steam, navigate to View -> Settings. Go to the Downloads tab on the left. Then click on 'Steam Library Folders'. Add the folder we created earlier, D:\GamesFolder.

5) THAT'S IT! You may begin installing and running games normally. 

Things to Note :

- DO NOT delete the created folder D:\GamesFolder as this will also delete any files/folders to the linked share in UNRAID. There is A LOT of misinformation online about deleting this type of hard link. What I found to work best, and safest is to temporary disconnect the connection to UNRAID by unplugging the ethernet cord (or stop all network connections) and deleting it normally. This way you will not lose any information in your share. 

- If unraid is offline, your games won't show, but you can still use your steam normally and play any games that were store in other locations or your local drive. 

- Some games, won't want to install with this setup. Personally, I have only encounter this issue with 1 game using this approach. This was with 'World of Final Fantasy'. In this case, I just installed it to C:\, then moved it to the array and haven't ran into any other issues. I have over 250+ games.

image.png.923c2dd65fd3704e6bef6418b1c2a539.png

Edited by JustOverride
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/21/2020 at 8:51 PM, XiuzSu said:

Well it can be used for online stores like uplay and epicgames which don't support the mapping of a network. However, there was another reason. I just honestly forgot.

Great post! Big question though I'll ask, without having tested your method obviously-- how agout EA's Origin? Origin, is a finicky thing. EA from my experience, went out of its way to prevent simlink drives and NAS directories for game storage. Are you able to test this method with Origin, and if you have already-- does it work?

On 1/23/2021 at 9:13 PM, bergePanzer581 said:

Great post! Big question though I'll ask, without having tested your method obviously-- how agout EA's Origin? Origin, is a finicky thing. EA from my experience, went out of its way to prevent simlink drives and NAS directories for game storage. Are you able to test this method with Origin, and if you have already-- does it work?

It was "kinda" working. While it would work sometimes, upon close/re-opening origin or restarting the computer, it would suddenly not find the game and prompt for a re-download/install of the game. During the install you have to key in the path as it also won't just let you select it normally. They are REALLY against it, don't know why.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...