Cannot access Community Apps, cannot update Plugins nor installed apps, cannot PING

tmor2

I run UNRAID v6.8.2, and it's been working well until few days ago when I noticed that my Plugins and Apps were not being updated any longer. Here is the list of issues I found. Help is appreciated:

1. Clicking on "APPS" tab (Community apps), produces error message:

Something really wrong went on during get_categories
Post the ENTIRE contents of this message in the Community Applications Support Thread

No data was returned. It is probable that another browser session has rebooted your server. Reloading this browser tab will probably fix this error

(reloading browser tab doesn't solve the issue. I used 4 different browsers on 2 computers - same error.

2. Clicking on "PLUGINS" tab -> "STATUS" column says "unknown". I have no option (button) to "update all" plugins.

3. Clicking on "DOCKER" tab ->  "VERSION" column says "up-to-date", but when I click on "Check for updates button", "VERSION" column shows spinning wheel and "checking" endlessly.  Usually checking for udpates takes 10-15 secs at most.

4. Opening Terminal window and entering "ping 1.1.1.1" gives back no results at all.

5. SETTINGS -> "Fix common problems" lists following errors:

(Other comments) Could not perform docker application port tests. (Comments) The download of the application feed failed.

Despite above issues,  nextcloud, Plex, Resilio, bitwarden and all other apps work without issues over internet - I can access all services from outside of my home, via internet.

How do I go about finding out what is causing above issue, and how do I solve it?

Also, rather than weeding through issues, is it possible to reinstall UNRAID OS, without affecting Dockers apps, Settings, and Shares?

Edited by tmor2
21 minutes ago, trurl said:

The Unraid OS installs itself fresh from the archives on Flash into RAM at each boot and runs completely in RAM. 

Seems like a DNS issue. 

Go to Tools-diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread. 

Thx. Actually, the issue was with my router. It was changes in DNS settings in router that messed things up. Once I reverted to previous router configuration, everything in UNRAID started working again.

On 9/8/2020 at 12:32 PM, tmor2 said:

Thx. Actually, the issue was with my router. It was changes in DNS settings in router that messed things up. Once I reverted to previous router configuration, everything in UNRAID started working again.

Curious, what DNS settings resolved your symptoms?

I had a similar issue and despite most threads saying to assign public DNS servers (my usual config), setting unRaid's first DNS server to my local router resolved it.

2 hours ago, SidereusAquila said:

Curious, what DNS settings resolved your symptoms?

I had a similar issue and despite most threads saying to assign public DNS servers (my usual config), setting unRaid's first DNS server to my local router resolved it.

I set conflicting DNS settings on my router at different levels (global vs. interface). I never configure DNS settings on a client, unless explicitly required by a manual. Usually DNS points to public DNS servers. However, if you have VPN, use DNS server settings provided by your VPN provider.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Tommy90 said:

hello, I am getting the same issue any advice?

Have you tried setting your DNS in the unRaid webui to external DNS servers (Google, OpenDNS, etc.)?

If you have tried external without success, also try setting them to your router (typically the default gateway address a.k.a. your routers IP address) - this solved it for me, strangely.

Please give more info of your config, symptoms and troubleshooting already completed for the community to provide assistance (rather than guesses).

Lastly, I wrote an extensive post about the troubleshooting I did here: