Share VM local lan network access to Unraid Host

jaddel

Dear Community,

TLDR: My Mini-ITX mainboard has a wifi card that i want to passthrough to a tiny linux VM which is supposed to share its network connection with the Unraid host. I know there are other solutions but i want to do it exactly this way. How to adjust the network settings? 

I would like to run Unraid on wifi and yes i know it's not recommended. 

I know i could use a wifi bridge using a router in bridge mode plugged into the host nic or some power lan adapters. <-- I don't want to do it this way! 

I found several threads about it but not really one where someone explained how to do it in detail.

Could someone please explain how to configure the Unraid host and the VM network settings to make this work? 

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Max 

Edited by jaddel

Hi,

I would recommend against this workaround.  Besides the complications and performance impact from running this vm the main reason not to do this and  use a router in bridge mode is that you lose acces to your unraid server if there is anything wrong with anything. 
that could be the routing vm or anything with unraid / the hardware...... sounds like a to complicated solution for a simple problem.....

Edited by LammeN3rd
2 hours ago, LammeN3rd said:

Hi,

I would recommend against this workaround.  Besides the complications and performance impact from running this vm the main reason not to do this and  use a router in bridge mode is that you lose acces to your unraid server if there is anything wrong with anything. 
that could be the routing vm or anything with unraid / the hardware...... sounds like a to complicated solution for a simple problem.....

As i pointed out i don't mind the downsides. My Server is running on a Mini ITX Board and quite portable if i lose access i can still hock it up to a monitor and fix it + I don't need 24/7 reliability. 

All other solution require additional hardware and for my needs the wifi connection / software solution will be enough. 

"Too complicated" is about the point of view, anyhow for someone who knows how to do the routing configuration it should be quite easy to set it up this way. 

Edited by jaddel