Trying to pass through my GTX 1660 TI on a Linux and Windows VM

dirkme

I so wanted to use my UNRAID machine as a gaming machine and bought some powerful parts and now I just can't get it through the easy way....

I neeed your help guys, MyDay MayDay MayDay

Trying to pass through my GTX 1660 TI on a Linux and Windows VM

Error message:

VM creation error

internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2020-09-08T19:51:56.572794Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:2b:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0: vfio 0000:2b:00.0: group 14 is not viable
Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.

The IOMMU Group:

IOMMU group 14:[10de:2182] 2b:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti] (rev a1)

[10de:1aeb] 2b:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

[10de:1aec] 2b:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1aec (rev a1)

[10de:1aed] 2b:00.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER] (rev a1)

Motherboard: 

MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard (AMD AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, HDMI/DP, ATX)

CPU:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

RAM:

HyperX Kingston 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM (Kit of 2) 1Rx8 Fury Black (HX426C16FB3K2/16)

i may be wrong but I believe you have to pass through all elements of your 1660ti. the USB and serial bus controller may need to be stubbed in order to prevent unraid from using them. Something like vfio-pci.ids=10de:1aec,10de:1aed on the flash boot page should do it. Then I guess you would see those two elements in your VM details. I dont have a 1660ti so I cant be 100% sure this will work

• Like 1

Hi, how do I add the "USB and serial bus controller" to that VM?

Could you try to make a (almost) step by step guide? Once I get the idea, I will be able to do it ;-).

Where or how to I add this line at the boot and maybe even in the boot config?

Thanks a lot for your reply, I was afraid, nobody would dare to reply ;-)

Thanks

Dirk

SpaceInvader1 helped a lot ;-)

But now I have the black screen in my VM and I read that you have to boot into UEFI mode to get that sorted.

My Unraid USB does not want to boot into UEFI whatsoever,. bruuuhhh

What can i do, how can I convince my Unraid USB to boot into UEFI?

Thanks guys for your help

Dirk

I am making big progress, still working out minor things, where I would need your help. But for those I open a new topic.

Ones I got this all up and running, I will make a youtube video to show the encounters I had and the solutions I found, then I will close this topic ;-)

Thanks a lot for all your help

Dirk

Hi @dirkme, I will be interested in your youtube video and explanations because I'm still blocked with black screen and/or the error you wrote in your first message. I have the same configuration with 1660 to passthrough. I like spaceinvaderone youtube channel, but I don't understand what steps I didn't followed.

Thank you in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 6:57 AM, iMR1C said:

Hi @dirkme, I will be interested in your youtube video and explanations because I'm still blocked with black screen and/or the error you wrote in your first message. I have the same configuration with 1660 to passthrough. I like spaceinvaderone youtube channel, but I don't understand what steps I didn't followed.

Thank you in advance!

Just finished it, had lots of hassle but I have found the ultimate solution:

https://youtu.be/gvnLeuQaII0

let me know how it worked, I am confident it sorts out all your black screens Nvidia AMD alike