[SOLVED] Bios Hang when nic installed

Dan!

Hello Unraid Community!

I am hoping someone can help. I haven't seem to find a related post. I recently bought a quad nic from ebay inspired by spaceinvader one's pfsense videos. When I installed the NIC the bios screen hangs and I am unable to enter the BIOS settings. I have put the nic into my windows PC and it seems to work fine. When I take the nic out of the NAS it works okay. 

I thought I had found a solution with this post as my nic also has the i350 chipset: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-i350-t2-nic-stops-computer-from-booting.2426426/

when I tried it the PXE was not enabled and I don't think it had firmware?

NIC: Silicom PE2G4I35L

CPU: Intel Core I3 10100

M/B: Gigabyte H470M

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Dan!

Just now, Dan! said:

When I installed the NIC the bios screen hangs and I am unable to enter the BIOS settings.

That suggest an incompatibility problem with the board, not much you can probably do, try enabling/disabling opt ROM boot support (or similar option) in the BIOS, also try booting UEFI if booting CSM, or vice-versa, other than try a different model, board or NIC.

Thanks for the help!

Disabling the CSM allowed it to boot but have now lost network. The BIOS hang issue is gone so can be marked as solved. I'll have a look at some similar posts and try some things. I can the eth1-4 ports listed but they are down.

Thanks again

Cheers

Dan!

Update: after booting with CSM in the BIOS disabled i lost the lan and could not load the GUI. Reading around on the forums I found this page:

https://linux.die.net/man/8/ethtool

to help me with the command line because I'm a newbie! I used the

ethtool -p eth* to identify where each of the ports were.

The ports had been remapped so eth0 was on the right as you looked at the back of the nic. I plugged my network cable into that port and was able to load the GUI again.

Probably sounds basic but took longer than it should so posting in case I can help someone else.

Cheers

Dan!

• Like 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Bios Hang when nic installed