Can't change Docker container icon

Strayer

After setting the icon URL once, unraid never seems to download it again after changing it. I added an icon with wrong dimensions. After fixing the icon and uploading it to a new URL, everytime I update the container to the new icon URL or remove and recreate it, it loads the old icon again.

It seems like the icon is cached somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it.

Any ideas where to start to fix this?

Correct.  After the image is downloaded, Unraid serves the icon from it's locally stored copy (within the docker.img).  

Your workaround is to simply change the URL to anything else.  Apply it.  (Can't remember OTOH if you have to go to the docker / dashboard tab to attempt a new download).  Then change the URL back and it'll re-download the image with the adjusted dimensions

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Correct.  After the image is downloaded, Unraid serves the icon from it's locally stored copy (within the docker.img).  

Your workaround is to simply change the URL to anything else.  Apply it.  (Can't remember OTOH if you have to go to the docker / dashboard tab to attempt a new download).  Then change the URL back and it'll re-download the image with the adjusted dimensions

That is what I assumed, but the new image is under a completely different URL, unraid still doesn't download it again. I even tried setting it to the icon URL of one of the other containers, still no avail.

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

What unRaid version?

Sorry, should have mentioned that. I'm on 6.8.3.

8 minutes ago, Squid said:

Oh and maybe clear your browser cache.  I seem to recall that on 6.9 I put in some code changes to handle browser caching in this circumstance

Tried clearing the cache and also tried it with dev tools (and disable cache option), doesn't seem to make a difference.

I just tried it with a new container and it happens again.

Initial container configuration:

grafik.thumb.png.88b306907b9c00d22335f23fdaf213e6.png

Initial icon URL: https://i.imgur.com/KDZALBF.png

Updated icon URL: https://i.imgur.com/ajVjfzk.png

When trying to change the icon URL to the updated URL, the icon still stays the same.

Edited by Strayer
15 hours ago, Squid said:

Do you already have another container using the same repository (debian?).  If so, then under 6.8 the icons will always be identical between the two.  6.9 supports different icons for multiple containers using the same repository.

No, this was just a testing container. The actual container I have the issue with is the only mongo:4.0 container (even the only mongo container at all) on the system.

Since it is not really an important issue, I will probably wait for 6.9 to check this again. Thanks for the help so far!

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

I'm having the same problem. Changed the URL to a totally different one, but the new one never gets downloaded. Cleared cache and tried on different browsers, so I don't think it's a browser issue. Not using the repo in any other containers, either. Running 6.8.3.

EDIT: I even completely deleted and re-added the container.

Thanks!

Edited by micahmo
  • 1 month later...

Its also still broken for me and makes me crazy. Everytime I login, I see that broken icon 😡 😉

I fixed this manually for now by replacing the PNG in /var/lib/docker/unraid/images/ with the correct one and removing the cached PNG from /var/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/images.

1 hour ago, Strayer said:

Still on 6.8.3, yes. I'm looking forward to a few changes in 6.9, but I still prefer to wait for a stable release.

As far as I can tell, it works perfectly on 6.9 (otherwise I'm the one who's going to wind up getting spanked by LT - there were other changes in the icon system for it), so just hold tight.

• 3 months later...

Just in case someone comes along this thread like I did today ;)...

I'm on 6.9 and ran into a similar issue when trying to replace an image by changing the path in the xml template.

Deleting container, Path changing, reloading, nothing helped. 

I ended up deleting the image at "/var/lib/docker/unraid/images/".

When then building a new container from the template the image was pulled again and the new image appears!

Regards,

André

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, andre (buanet) said:

Just in case someone comes along this thread like I did today ;)...

I'm on 6.9 and ran into a similar issue when trying to replace an image by changing the path in the xml template.

Deleting container, Path changing, reloading, nothing helped. 

I ended up deleting the image at "/var/lib/docker/unraid/images/".

When then building a new container from the template the image was pulled again and the new image appears!

Regards,

André

So can you change it now?

• 2 months later...

On 6.9.2, experiencing the same issue. Need to "force update" the container for the changes to take effect. It is weird though, this does not seem to apply to all containers - about two weeks ago, I successfully changed the icon of my first and only dockerhub container.

And yes, I tried different browser, incognito mode, etc - so no browser caching issue.

Thanks for all the good work so far, I really like unraid!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 6/1/2021 at 1:17 AM, coldtech said:

On 6.9.2, experiencing the same issue. Need to "force update" the container for the changes to take effect. It is weird though, this does not seem to apply to all containers - about two weeks ago, I successfully changed the icon of my first and only dockerhub container.

And yes, I tried different browser, incognito mode, etc - so no browser caching issue.

Thanks for all the good work so far, I really like unraid!

Just had the same problem after updating 4 containers this morning.

What ended up working for me was to delete the generic 1k icons from /var/lib/docker/unraid/images then do "force update".

Thanks for everyone's help. Those questions mark icons were driving me crazy!

EDIT: I am also on 6.9.2

Edited by Pacman56
  • Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On 6/2/2021 at 1:42 PM, Pacman56 said:

What ended up working for me was to delete the generic 1k icons from /var/lib/docker/unraid/images then do "force update".

I do not have such generic icons in this directory. I am also on Unraid 6.9.2
Every time I delete the obviously generically created icon and run a forced update, it is automatically created again.

Any other ideas to get to an icon via a URL download?

Edited by JoergHH
Typo

If this is happening on < 6.10, edit the applicable template in /config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user and change <TemplateURL>some url here</TemplateURL> to instead be <TemplateURL>false</TemplateURL>

If there's issues with getting the URL to work, let me know exact steps on how to replicate it as I have never had any issues with this subsystem.

On 2/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, Squid said:

If this is happening on < 6.10, edit the applicable template in /config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user and change <TemplateURL>some url here</TemplateURL> to instead be <TemplateURL>false</TemplateURL>

If there's issues with getting the URL to work, let me know exact steps on how to replicate it as I have never had any issues with this subsystem.

I do not understand this. There is nothing in <TemplateURL> in the affected user template and the path to the icon file is completely correct.

<TemplateURL/>
  <Icon>https://[correct_path_to].png</Icon>