Struggling to decide between Ryzen 3900X and Intel 10900K - uptime

Hi guys, my first post here and hope you guys bear with me.  I am struggling to decide on whether to go with a Ryzen 3900X build vs Intel 10900K build.  I am listing my current parts but I can return the unopened components to switch platforms.  I am hoping to a have a stable system with decent uptime so I will not need to reboot every so often.

My ideal parts:
- Ryzen 3900X or 3900XT
- Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 - got it
- 4 x Corsair LPX Vengeance 16GB 3200Mhz memory - got it
- Nvidia 3080 if an when it is available
- 2 x WD SN750 black 1TB NVME - got it
- 4 x Seagate Baraccuda Pro 10TB - got it
- Fractal Design 7 casing - got it
- Corsair H1000x or H1200x (out of stock - would 1000w be plenty enough?)
- The recommended HDMI dummy plug - got it
- Samsung 32GB bar USB as recommended - got it

Use case:

- File/Storage server.

- W10 Gaming VM (would I even be able to run FS 2020 inside a VM as an example?) with 3080 GPU passthrough (6-8 cores)

- Emby Docker with HW transcoding through the Ryzen 3900X CPU - 2 to 3 1080p transcoding from HEVC source.  Maybe 1 to 2 4K transcode from HEVC source.

- Radarr, Sonarr, Jackett, Transmission dockers.

- Rsync with remote NAS to do offsite backup on some data

- PieHole (never tried it yet)

- VPN Server

- Automated photobackup from IOS and Android devices

I am currently following this guide: https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-remote-gaming-on-unraid/4248/226.

Aside from my stability and uptime concerns, would it be recommended to get a second GPU (GTX 1660 for example) as a dedicated transcoding device for Ryzen/Intel build?  Would an Intel 10900K with Quicksync be fast enough from the transcoding requirements?

Is there any guide to setup a dual GPU system on a Ryzen build?  I just watched Linuttechtips and he could not get a dual GPU Ryzen build working and switched to an Intel build which is worrisome - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1245279-we-made-the-perfect-couples-pc/

Lastly, should I stay with a Ryzen build, I was told not to use the latest BIOS - something with IOMMU groupings being messed up.  ANy referal on what revision to stay with?

Thank you for any feedback.

I am in a similar boat as you so I am invested in the replies you get!  The decision came down to if the 4 threads would be more valuebale or the quick sync (blue iris, plex) and if quick sync would even work for both vms and dockers at the same time?  That said I can make myself slightly useful while I am here.

The 1000w psu should be plenty. 

Looking at the past I am kind of scared trying to be one of the first to pass through a 3080.  I may wait and see how it goes for others.  Some new GPUs have issues.  But maybe it's fine?  -if you get it running games should run great with the 12 threads and a 3080.

I think linus just had issues because he was trying to pass through 2 GPUs to 2 vms plus it looked like he had a 3rd card for unraid?  but it sounds like you just could give unraid one and the other to your gaming vm.  EZPZ.

5 minutes ago, aasberry said:

quick sync would even work for both vms and dockers at the same time?

QSV cannot be used for VMs and docker containers at the same time.  VMs need a dedicated GPU.  Once a VM has control of a GPU nothing else can use it. 

QSV can be used simultaneously by multiple docker containers.

• Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, aasberry said:

I am in a similar boat as you so I am invested in the replies you get!  The decision came down to if the 4 threads would be more valuebale or the quick sync (blue iris, plex) and if quick sync would even work for both vms and dockers at the same time?  That said I can make myself slightly useful while I am here.

The 1000w psu should be plenty. 

Looking at the past I am kind of scared trying to be one of the first to pass through a 3080.  I may wait and see how it goes for others.  Some new GPUs have issues.  But maybe it's fine?  -if you get it running games should run great with the 12 threads and a 3080.

I think linus just had issues because he was trying to pass through 2 GPUs to 2 vms plus it looked like he had a 3rd card for unraid?  but it sounds like you just could give unraid one and the other to your gaming vm.  EZPZ.

Thanks for the input.  I will just swap out the RTX 3080 with my personal desktop RTX 2070 if there is any compatibility issues.

I never found any information if I can transcode via CPU only on a 3900X for Emby and Plex.  I assume it should.  I did read a few posts scattered that transcoding some streams does not affect the VM gaming experience so that is encouraging.

I do hope to use at least 6 cores 12 threads for the gaming VM so I should have plenty left for everything else.

Linus was doing proper troubleshooting based on what I have read - adding a 3rd card etc.  But I was kinda disappointed he did not follow through and resolve the problem.

I am following this guide: https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-remote-gaming-on-unraid/4248

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

QSV cannot be used for VMs and docker containers at the same time.  VMs need a dedicated GPU.  Once a VM has control of a GPU nothing else can use it. 

QSV can be used simultaneously by multiple docker containers.

Thanks for the tip.  That is why I am torn between Intel 10900K abd the Ryzen 3900X.  I am leaning towards the 3900X if I can transcode 3-4 1080 streams via software.

14 minutes ago, dhawk2k said:

Thanks for the tip.  That is why I am torn between Intel 10900K abd the Ryzen 3900X.  I am leaning towards the 3900X if I can transcode 3-4 1080 streams via software.

You can.  1080p streams only require 2000 CPU passmarks per stream for software transcoding.  The 3900X passmark score is 32,000+.  The 10900K passmarrk score is 24,000+

HEVC/4K software transcoding requires a whopping 17,000 passmarks per stream and you still need to have at least 2,000 passmarks overhead for unRAID to keep runinng. Best to setup your rmedia  for 4K/HEVC local steaming to capable clients that don't require transcoding and 1080p original content remote streaming.

By the way, the GTX GPUs are limited by Nvidia to only two simultaneous hardware transcodes.  That is why many users go with the Quadro P2000 as it supports "unlimited" hardware transcodes.  Of course this is only needed with AMD CPUs or non-iGPU Intel CPUs and if you want hardware transcoding instead of the load on your CPU with software transcoding.

My Xeon E-2288G (9900K equivalent) with iGPU/QSV can handle over 12 simultaneous hardware transcodes (this was only a test and I did not push it further). 

Edited by Hoopster
3 hours ago, Hoopster said:

You can.  1080p streams only require 2000 CPU passmarks per stream for software transcoding.  The 3900X passmark score is 32,000+.  The 10900K passmarrk score is 24,000+

HEVC/4K software transcoding requires a whopping 17,000 passmarks per stream and you still need to have at least 2,000 passmarks overhead for unRAID to keep runinng. Best to setup your rmedia  for 4K/HEVC local steaming to capable clients that don't require transcoding and 1080p original content remote streaming.

By the way, the GTX GPUs are limited by Nvidia to only two simultaneous hardware transcodes.  That is why many users go with the Quadro P2000 as it supports "unlimited" hardware transcodes.  Of course this is only needed with AMD CPUs or non-iGPU Intel CPUs and if you want hardware transcoding instead of the load on your CPU with software transcoding.

My Xeon E-2288G (9900K equivalent) with iGPU/QSV can handle over 12 simultaneous hardware transcodes (this was only a test and I did not push it further). 

Wow, I was not expecting a difference for the passmark to be that huge between the 10900K and 3900X.

All local clients will be direct stream and maybe 3-4 remote 1080P streams from HEVC sources (1080p).

Good tip on the P2000 -  I will keep this in mind.  What concerns me now is the stability and uptime between the 10900K and 3900X.  Kinda moot point if the server crashes or hangs often.  I am betting many concerns and posts are from first time setup (some not all). 

I did some reading and found VM gaming with 4/6 cores with concurrent transcoding with Plex (I assume it would be the same for Emby or Jellyfin) would have not noticeable impact.  Heck I am even dreaming of running Flight Simulator 2020 through Parsec.

I wont be pushing the server to the limits, just to serve the household purposes as listed above.  My motivation is using a lower spec laptop/Android/IOS and do some remote gaming casually and stream my contents to family.

Much appreciate your feedback.  I will definitely document my experience and steps to get my scenario working as I am sure many are in the same boat.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/12/2020 at 7:21 PM, Hoopster said:

I didn't know about the 2 transcode limit for GTX GPUs?