BONDED MAC ADDRESS DOES NOT CHANGE

softfeet

Hi. 

Unraid is great. I need help setting up a second machine so it does not trash the network. 

To unraid towers. Both have bonding network to support local VM and Docker. 

Big bad right here: both have the same bonded mac address. This kills the network and makes each host unavailable to each other. 

You can trick the members of the network by. getting an arp cache from a connection... but that is mostly insane. and dies. 

check out the thread https://old.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/igjyjw/help_needed_unraid_mac_address_locked_to/

I also filed a bug. this is a major bug in my mind: 

1134752349_ScreenShot2020-09-12at3_51_52PM.thumb.png.48851993ab61c6857d19e29827f28d6b.png

Not sure how to fix this. Really frustrated how obfuscated this basic setting is. 

Help is appreciated. Fixing the bug is even better. 

Thanks!

It isn't a general bug, otherwise everyone would be affected since bonding is enabled by default. You don't need bonding for VMs and dockers, just bridging. From the screenshot your bond has only one member, eth0 and eth0 has the MAC address 88:88:88:88:87:88. This indicates that you or the previous owner of your NIC has over-ridden the unique MAC address it was given in the factory. Some NICs allow you to do that, some don't. It isn't an Unraid feature or obfuscation.

2 hours ago, John_M said:

It isn't a general bug, otherwise everyone would be affected since bonding is enabled by default. You don't need bonding for VMs and dockers, just bridging. From the screenshot your bond has only one member, eth0 and eth0 has the MAC address 88:88:88:88:87:88. This indicates that you or the previous owner of your NIC has over-ridden the unique MAC address it was given in the factory. Some NICs allow you to do that, some don't. It isn't an Unraid feature or obfuscation.

I dont agree with your conclusion, but appreciate the inquiry. The conclusion that myself or a previous owner has over-ridden the mac address given at factory does not make sense as both of these boards are the same, sourced from different vendors, and have the software default settings based on the unraid 6.8.3 usb. This is entirely Unraid in my view of the situation; and entirely a bug. I dont know how many other people run multiple unraid machines using bonding. 

The software default for Unraid, is bonding. 

As stated earlier in these threads. The mac address is obfuscated BY unraid. Disable bonding, it uses the hardware mac. Enable bonding, Obfuscated. 

Both machines use the same Obfuscated MAC. This is 100% Unraid. 100% a bug. As seen on both hardware setups. 

Did some more digging with tooling after you mentioned changing the mac address. 

Found macchanger and altered the mac on the cli. this worked. 

4 hours ago, John_M said:

This also shows a change after using macchanger. 

Plugged in a bodi install usb. tha max is also 88...88. 

macchanger might be the cleanest path forward for me. scripted into the gofile. 

also found this... no clue why it had not show up in prior google searches. 

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101242-How-to-change-fix-and-flash-your-Mac-Address-Asus-Motherboard-Intel-NIC&langid=5

Looks like a board issue really. 

Thanks John_M for the feedback and bouncing ideas my way. Appreciated. 

Edited by softfeet