VirtIO and Default ISO dir location need to separate | VM Settings

RifleJock

Let me first start off by describing the issue I face.

I'm a hardware/networking kinda guy. I don't really know much when it comes to software/programming. In attempts to create my own user script, I faced numerous hurdles that I just simply don't know how to solve. Rather than creating a bandage for the issue I face, a simple resolve would be to create a simple fix to the already existing mechanics/programming that exists within the VM Settings of Unraid.

Here's the concept of my script:

When ran:

1. It would go to the variable for the default ISO storage path, of which the user can fill in the VM settings location. In my example here, the /mnt/user/ISOs/ dir.

2. mv all files named virtio*.iso (as well as any other drivers I added manually) to my "Drivers" dir within the ISOs dir.

image.thumb.png.735c9a1dc8424ce4d1f61c4d2c728127.png

Here's the simple fix to Unraid's VM Settings.

Create another option in the Unraid's VM settings section that would allow me to specify my virtio download and default location, separate from my default isos location.

When creating a VM, these would now be separated.

398983151_2020-09-1305_46_27-Window.jpg.30665d44c6e6a0529366c12d4134dffa.jpg

image.png.cb2cca03e0b88e832b545327b871356f.png

Maybe I'm being petty or lazy, but this would allow users to reduce the steps taken in the process of mass downloading virtio drivers (as well as other drivers) and then manually moving them to a "Drivers" dir. -AND- Because they have been moved to the drivers dir, they no longer autofill the first/top option when creating a vm, causing one additional step that has to be taken during the VM creation process.

IDK, let me know your thoughts guys. Surely I'm not alone in this.

-Jockie

Edited by RifleJock
grammer
4 hours ago, RifleJock said:

Maybe I'm being petty or lazy

Surely I'm not alone in this.

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head there.  And you are most likely alone in this.

You download a virtio iso, and put it where you want it based on how you keep your storage.  What's the problem? It literally takes about, oh, 1 second to drag/drop the iso into a different folder.  Done.

You probably don't need to be "mass downloading" virtio files.  You only need the latest version as it comes out, unless there's some specific reason to use a different one.  So because you choose to mass download them, the storage dilemma is only yours.

mass downloading virtio drivers (as well as other drivers) and then manually moving them to a "Drivers" dir.

As well as what other drivers?  Unraid downloads -nothing- else. So you'll still have to manually move them to your drivers folder.  If you need the latest graphics card driver package, you're getting that yourself.  If you need your printer drivers, you're getting that yourself.  I don't see how you think you're going to make that any "easier".  All those mac/linux isos in your folders you moved there manually, but you're not suggesting the ability to download OS isos and move them, are you? So what's the problem with a tiny virtio iso?

-AND- Because they have been moved to the drivers dir, they no longer autofill the first/top option when creating a vm, causing one additional step that has to be taken during the VM creation process.

So what *you* have done based on *your* preference, *you* "broke" how the GUI works and created an extra step for *yourself*.  Hmmm.. let me ponder on that.  What about when you're selecting your OS ISO from all your carefully crafted subfolders?  You still have to do that, because you created it that way.. but you want the virtio iso to default to a subdir? Just that one?

Look, it wouldn't be a major deal for an option to be included in the VM settings page to specify a default location and use that variable location in the VM template, but my point of view is that even that minor thing is more work / hassle than it's worth. They would have to add the variable and then apply it to the virtio download process, the vm template code, the vm iso mounting code, etc... for what? So you have to move a file, and select it in a subfolder, because that's how YOU want to maintain your iso directory... it takes two seconds.  I know for a 100% fact that you are not downloading new virtio isos and creating a new VM every 2 minutes where you are constantly having to move them. 

I can't speak for the Unraid team, only myself, but this seems like a pretty pointless suggestion that makes no practical sense.

• Like 1