Upgrade to the mover

NoobSpy

Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade mover so that files that should not be on the cache pool(s) or files that should not be on the array be moved automatically to the respective position. Fix common problems can identity that files are in the wrong positions. Is it somehow possible to incorporate that code into mover so this can be done automatically. This means we do not have to fire up krusader to do this manually.

Best

NoobSpy

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

It is not that easy as there are some Use Cases that have been brought up in the past where files are deliberately placed in the ‘wrong’ position.   The change you mention would break any system with that Use Case.

Okay - The logic behind this I don't understand.

If the share is set to 'only' why have files on the array?

I would think if you have a use case place the file(s) in a share with flag set to 'yes or prefer' instead.

I appreciate your explanation tho.

3 hours ago, NoobSpy said:

I would think if you have a use case place the file(s) in a share with flag set to 'yes or prefer' instead.

I appreciate your explanation tho.

There have been those who want files on the cache for performance and have written their own scripts to perform periodic backups to the array.    Unraid will not as standard allow a file to be in two different locations, but if you set this up manually then it shows the cache copy in preference to the one on the array.

10 hours ago, itimpi said:

It is not that easy as there are some Use Cases that have been brought up in the past where files are deliberately placed in the ‘wrong’ position.   The change you mention would break any system with that Use Case.

4 hours ago, NoobSpy said:

4 hours ago, NoobSpy said:

I use this to manage a large collection of VM vdisks. When I create a new VM, I want it on the cache pool while I'm setting it up and actively using it. However, I have so many VM's that they don't fit on my cache. The VM's not actively being used can live on the array, and they will still run just fine, albeit quite slowly. If I want a specific VM to be fast, I'll move it to cache, if I haven't used it in a while, it can live on the array.

The /mnt/user path to the vdisks stay the same, so no need to reconfigure anything.