[SOLVED] Wrongly Assigned Data Disk As Parity Disk

Just now, Ong Hui Hoong said:

how would i know what data is missing?

Look for a lost+found folder, any partial/lost files should be there, all the rest should be OK.

1 minute ago, Ong Hui Hoong said:

u safe my life, literally, all my data of my life, my photo, doc, record all is in that disk. any my share has return :)

Unraid is not a backup, you need to have a backup of anything irreplaceable.

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Look for a lost+found folder, any partial/lost files should be there, all the rest should be OK.

ok thanks man, will look for it, dont really know how to do that, but google is there to help.

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Unraid is not a backup, you need to have a backup of anything irreplaceable.

i know, i was running on basic NTFS HDD in windows last time with no drive fail protection, now at least i have a parity protect with single disk failure.

and yes 2nd UNRIAD server are planned to setup at a remote location to sync and duplicate my VVIP data, a daily backup will also be setup in the main server and sync across to the remote server, so technically speaking, when fully deploy, my VVIP data will have a real time copy and a daily backup, and the daily backup also have it backup.

need to plan out the budget, but hey, AMD is fighting Intel now, price is dropping like crazy :)

and again, u really save my life, i was in panic mode the whole day, now i feel better, much better.

many many thanks :D

this will be a very good case studies for anyone who make a mistake like me.

can i change the topic to something related to the problem? so someone else can search with the correct keyword for the same problem.

2 minutes ago, Ong Hui Hoong said:

anyway the lost+found folder should be under mnt/disk1 right?

yes, but it will also show up in your user shares since it is a top level folder on array or cache.

11 minutes ago, Ong Hui Hoong said:

2nd UNRIAD server are planned to setup at a remote location to sync and duplicate my VVIP data, a daily backup will also be setup in the main server and sync across to the remote server, so technically speaking, when fully deploy, my VVIP data will have a real time copy and a daily backup, and the daily backup also have it backup.

A backup plan is not something you plan to do eventually. It is something you are doing now to make sure you have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable. You can refine it with what you plan to do eventually, but do something now. You don't have to backup everything. Many of us don't backup everything on our large capacity servers. You get to decide what is important and irreplaceable, and make another copy NOW.

11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's good news :)

is still rebuilding now, 8%, let hope everything is good :D

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

yes, but it will also show up in your user shares since it is a top level folder on array or cache.

ok, i will take note on that :D

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

A backup plan is not something you plan to do eventually. It is something you are doing now to make sure you have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable. You can refine it with what you plan to do eventually, but do something now. You don't have to backup everything. Many of us don't backup everything on our large capacity servers. You get to decide what is important and irreplaceable, and make another copy NOW.

everyone is telling me that, but i will take your advice, i will plan out to get additional HDD and try to setup a unassigned disk to temporary use as backup.

i dont plan to backup everything.

also, dont think that possible :), i have put all my VVIP data in the only NAS type HDD (except for parity disk, that y there is a confusion on assign the wrong disk) for extra protection of hardware failure.

today is a very good case for me to get thing backup to a separate HDD/system.

lesson learned, i was in panic mode when i saw unmounted files system on my disk1, my hand literally shaking for hours.

i setup UNRAID to prevent this kind of problem, yet with my own mistake i make this issue happen. i got no one else to blame but myself :(

I'm printing out a hard copy of the disk assignment now and slap it on the side of the casing.

23 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You can, and add [SOLVED] to it.

how do i change the title ya, i cannot find the option to do it >.<

11 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It should be.

oh u were expecting a full recovery? i mean I'm happy i get a full recovery.

maybe i stop doing anything trying to fix it and let it alone that causes a better chance of full recovery :)

• Ong Hui Hoong changed the title to [SOLVED] Wrongly Assigned Data Disk As Parity Disk