Ultimate UNRAID Dashboard (UUD)

On 6/15/2022 at 7:31 PM, VelcroBP said:
  1. Blank Docker queries: Dockers (ALL), Docker Details, Dockers Running, Dockers Stopped 
  2. Unassigned Devices lookup in header reverts to first disk in list immediately after I unselect it. There aren't any unassigned devices connected to my server
  3. Array Status, Parity Status, Mover Running, Parity Check Running, Dockers Running, Dockers Stopped -- all are blank

Hey look through my post I made here just a few above yours. It might help answer some of your questions.

It sounds like you may not have the Unraid-API docker talking to Grafana.

Array Growth is blank, and what is "fB" unit? How can I change to GB?

Ha that would be femtobytes. It is an insanely small memory unit. https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/m/topic/168582/

Again it sounds like something isn't configured correctly to read the array statistics.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, JudMeherg said:

It sounds like you may not have the Unraid-API docker talking to Grafana.

Thanks! Your post cleared up some things, and I did indeed NOT have the unRaid-API docker installed at all!

EDIT: figured out my initial errors with UNRAID API were due to having a custom port mapped for unRaid UI. I changed the server setting in UNRAID API to: server:port, and it's now pulling all the wonderful data!

Image links aren't working for the dockers, but I'm gonna check your post since I believe you found a solution for that as well.

Edited by VelcroBP
solved first issue with UNRAID API data
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, VelcroBP said:

Image links aren't working for the dockers, but I'm gonna check your post since I believe you found a solution for that as well.

Indeed your fix works!! Thanks a million! I'm now able to use the UUD in all it's glory! Well, except for that damn "unassigned devices" field still defaulting to the first drive in the list. But that's easy enough to ignore for now.

Thanks again!!!

• Like 2
On 6/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, JudMeherg said:

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit..... Page 34 release notes for 1.6 and there is the JSON datasource. Yep I missed that when I was just following the instructions on the first post in this thread. Just me being a bad user and not reading all the documentation.

As for 1.7, I just got 1.6 running and am still tweaking it for my system lol

I am sure the other users that have had it running for a while are looking for a new hit of the good stuff.

Thanks again for the work, and to everyone else that contributes. One day I hope to be a real contributor to projects like this.

@JudMeherg You got your wish. I appreciate your recent help and the fact that someone used your tips to fix their issues. Congrats!

image.png.7a91506844452690e4d08f77aefd31ec.png

• Like 2

@limetech @SpencerJ

Hey everyone. We just hit a huge milestone with the UUD. The official forum topic has now surpassed 200K views, making it one of the most viewed topics of all time in the User Customizations section of the UNRAID forums. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this accomplishment!

Also, Happy Father's Day everyone!

image.thumb.png.0e7b86e176a483259f4d10cf6fc08cc3.png

image.thumb.png.b860c673c4274383150ff18287b505cb.png

Edited by falconexe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This dashboard really is the Ultimate!  Thank you for putting all the time into it over the years.

As I was fiddling around with it to fit my system, I found a rather minor bug (spelling error, actually).  And I couldn't find where to 'officially' report a bug: In the Disk Overview section, many of the column headers read "File Sytem" instead of "File System" (missing the second 's').   I think you could do an easy find/replace in the json.  Don't forget to also check the Overrides that link to it.   Minor, I know... but something.

• Thanks 1
On 6/20/2022 at 2:34 PM, Skibo30 said:

This dashboard really is the Ultimate!  Thank you for putting all the time into it over the years.

As I was fiddling around with it to fit my system, I found a rather minor bug (spelling error, actually).  And I couldn't find where to 'officially' report a bug: In the Disk Overview section, many of the column headers read "File Sytem" instead of "File System" (missing the second 's').   I think you could do an easy find/replace in the json.  Don't forget to also check the Overrides that link to it.   Minor, I know... but something.

Thanks. I'll get that fixed in 1.7.

• 2 weeks later...

It's got NOTHING to do with what I thought it did...

I had a totally unrelated docker going crazy with log files growing to > 7GB of space. That docker's been deprecated (any wonder why), so I shut it down and deleted it.

I've just hit 100% utilization of my 30GB docker.img file, and I think I've nailed the major culprit down to the influxdb docker that was installed to host this dashboard. It's currently at 22.9GB of space.

Is anyone else anywhere near this usage? Is there a way to trim the database so that it's not quite so big?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to keep this (as cool as it was when it was first launched, it's wandered into a lot of Plex focus on later updates and, since I'm not a Plex user, they don't interest me, plus I've grown a touch bored with this much info overload), or if it's time to just scrap it.

I totally appreciate the time and effort that went into building it and @falconexe's efforts and responsiveness in fixing errors and helping a myriad of users through the same teething pains. I'm just not sure it's for me anymore...

Edited by FreeMan
6 hours ago, FreeMan said:

It's got NOTHING to do with what I thought it did...

I had a totally unrelated docker going crazy with log files growing to > 7GB of space. That docker's been deprecated (any wonder why), so I shut it down and deleted it.

I've just hit 100% utilization of my 30GB docker.img file, and I think I've nailed the major culprit down to the influxdb docker that was installed to host this dashboard. It's currently at 22.9GB of space.

Is anyone else anywhere near this usage? Is there a way to trim the database so that it's not quite so big?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to keep this (as cool as it was when it was first launched, it's wandered into a lot of Plex focus on later updates and, since I'm not a Plex user, they don't interest me, plus I've grown a touch bored with this much info overload), or if it's time to just scrap it.

I totally appreciate the time and effort that went into building it and @falconexe's efforts and responsiveness in fixing errors and helping a myriad of users through the same teething pains. I'm just not sure it's for me anymore...

Glad you found the TRUE culprit. I was just coming on here to defend the UUD ha ha. Just so you guys know, you can set retention policies for INFLUXDB and this will ensure you don't eat up space. I have a 2TB cache drive, so I put it at 10 years, but others may just want a rolling 30 days, that is perfectly acceptable, and totally doable.

@FreeMan If you don't like the Plex panels, feel free to remove them and the related datasources. You can run a UUD "Lite" if you want to. I just put everything that anyone would want in one dash for the sake of development. By all means, you do you.

Cheers!

On 7/1/2022 at 9:24 PM, falconexe said:

I have a 2TB cache drive

I've only got 1TB, and as noted, the DB itself is only 22GB. I was misinterpreting what I was looking at the first go round.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:24 PM, falconexe said:

If you don't like the Plex panels, feel free to remove them

I have from 1.6 already. ;)

Again, I appreciate all your efforts on this and don't want to appear to minimize any of the work you've put in!

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I was able to get everything set up and working but the one issue I am having is getting the Varken container to autostart after reboots and after weekly container backups. I tried moving it to the top of the priority list to start first but that didn't help and there doesn't appear to be anything in the logs either. Is anyone else having this issue? 

• 2 weeks later...

I can not for the life of me get Telegraf to run. It just immediately dies and there's only one error in the logs which I can't figure out. As far as I can tell my config is fine.

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
2022-08-06T21:20:14Z I! Starting Telegraf 1.20.2
2022-08-06T21:20:14Z I! Using config file: /etc/telegraf/telegraf.conf
2022-08-06T21:20:14Z E! [telegraf] Error running agent: Error loading config file /etc/telegraf/telegraf.conf: plugin inputs.cpu: line 3218: configuration specified the fields ["core_tags"], but they weren't used
invoke-rc.d: could not determine current runlevel
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.
Setting up libexpat1:amd64 (2.2.6-2+deb10u4) ...
Setting up mime-support (3.62) ...
Setting up libmagic-mgc (1:5.35-4+deb10u2) ...
Setting up psmisc (23.2-1+deb10u1) ...
Setting up libgc1c2:amd64 (1:7.6.4-0.4) ...
Setting up libmagic1:amd64 (1:5.35-4+deb10u2) ...
Setting up liblzo2-2:amd64 (2.10-0.1) ...
Setting up file (1:5.35-4+deb10u2) ...
Setting up bzip2 (1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1) ...
Setting up libpython2.7-minimal:amd64 (2.7.16-2+deb10u1) ...
Setting up libntlm0:amd64 (1.5-1+deb10u1) ...
Setting up libidn11:amd64 (1.33-2.2) ...
Setting up xz-utils (5.2.4-1+deb10u1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/xz to provide /usr/bin/lzma (lzma) in auto mode
Setting up libfribidi0:amd64 (1.0.5-3.1+deb10u1) ...
Setting up mailutils-common (1:3.5-4) ...
Setting up libltdl7:amd64 (2.4.6-9) ...
Setting up libevent-2.1-6:amd64 (2.1.8-stable-4) ...
Setting up sensible-utils (0.0.12) ...
Setting up exim4-config (4.92-8+deb10u6) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
Adding system-user for exim (v4)
Setting up guile-2.2-libs:amd64 (2.2.4+1-2+deb10u1) ...
Setting up libkyotocabinet16v5:amd64 (1.2.76-4.2+b1) ...
Setting up cron (3.0pl1-134+deb10u1) ...
Adding group `crontab' (GID 102) ...
Done.
Setting up libgsasl7 (1.8.0-8+deb10u1) ...
Setting up libpython2.7-stdlib:amd64 (2.7.16-2+deb10u1) ...
Setting up libunbound8:amd64 (1.9.0-2+deb10u2) ...
Setting up libgnutls-dane0:amd64 (3.6.7-4+deb10u7) ...
Setting up libpython2.7:amd64 (2.7.16-2+deb10u1) ...
Setting up exim4-base (4.92-8+deb10u6) ...
exim: DB upgrade, deleting hints-db
Setting up exim4-daemon-light (4.92-8+deb10u6) ...
Initializing GnuTLS DH parameter file
Setting up libmailutils5:amd64 (1:3.5-4) ...
Setting up mailutils (1:3.5-4) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/frm.mailutils to provide /usr/bin/frm (frm) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/from.mailutils to provide /usr/bin/from (from) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/messages.mailutils to provide /usr/bin/messages (messages) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/movemail.mailutils to provide /usr/bin/movemail (movemail) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/readmsg.mailutils to provide /usr/bin/readmsg (readmsg) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/dotlock.mailutils to provide /usr/bin/dotlock (dotlock) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/mail.mailutils to provide /usr/bin/mailx (mailx) in auto mode
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) ...
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
lm-sensors is already the newest version (1:3.5.0-3).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 28 not upgraded.
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nvme-cli
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 28 not upgraded.
Need to get 247 kB of archives.
After this operation, 570 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 nvme-cli amd64 1.7-1 [247 kB]
Fetched 247 kB in 0s (3198 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package nvme-cli.
(Reading database ... 11897 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../nvme-cli_1.7-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvme-cli (1.7-1) ...
Setting up nvme-cli (1.7-1) ...

On top of that, I can't get the Grafana container to run at all either. It's giving me permission denied errors.

mkdir: can't create directory '/var/lib/grafana/plugins': Permission denied
mkdir: can't create directory '/var/lib/grafana/plugins': Permission denied
GF_PATHS_DATA='/var/lib/grafana' is not writable.
You may have issues with file permissions, more information here: http://docs.grafana.org/installation/docker/#migrate-to-v51-or-later
GF_PATHS_DATA='/var/lib/grafana' is not writable.
You may have issues with file permissions, more information here: http://docs.grafana.org/installation/docker/#migrate-to-v51-or-later

This is the first time I've ever installed Grafana so it shouldn't be a migration issue.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT
-------------------------------
Okay so I managed to figure out a fix for both of these. For Telegraf I had to comment out the "core_tags = false" setting of the [[inputs.cpu]] section. Maybe this is because I'm on a Ryzen cpu?

For Grafana I had to add an extra parameter.

--user="$UID:$GID"

Everything seems to be working fine now except that the Docker icons in Grafana do not show up. I'm thinking its an issue with Unraid API not downloading the images? Do I need to set up some MQTT thing?

EDIT2
Figured out the Docker icons issue. Instead of using my local ip address for the Unraid API I set up the server using the hashed address provided by Unraid and that seemed to solve that problem.

Edited by Shane Israel

Is this equation you have for SSD Life Used still correct for a 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus with a TBW of 1200?

*512/1000000000/600*100

I'm trying to figure out what each of the numbers are standing for or how I need to update that equation in the future if I get different SSD's with different TBW's.

Confused on the Array Growth section. My assumption is that this number should always be increasing. I've been doing a ton of downloading the last couple days and at one point it was showing 1.1 TB of growth which made sense, but today its showing 648 GB like it went down but I haven't deleted anything?

image.thumb.png.29ba3e721728ad7d7f5be0f7bffc8573.png

Edited by Shane Israel
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi - 

I have meticulously gone through all of the documentation to set up the UUD. I have an issue with the Telegraf container not starting properly. After installing (with documentation steps implemented correctly) the container starts, and then it stops. When manually starting again, it stops. 

I looked at the logs, and I notice this part sticking out - 

[telegraf] Error running agent: Error loading config file /etc/telegraf/telegraf.conf: plugin inputs.cpu: line 3218: configuration specified the fields ["core_tags"], but they weren't used

Another thing I noticed - Upon installation no Telegraph folder is created in the InfluxDB folder.

I am a noob in this environment, so I don't want to start editing the telegraf config file and potentially breaking something. Does anyone have any advice or insight as to what I may be able to do here?

Edited by Jajunk88
1 hour ago, Jajunk88 said:

Hi - 

I have meticulously gone through all of the documentation to set up the UUD. I have an issue with the Telegraf container not starting properly. After installing (with documentation steps implemented correctly) the container starts, and then it stops. When manually starting again, it stops. 

[telegraf] Error running agent: Error loading config file /etc/telegraf/telegraf.conf: plugin inputs.cpu: line 3218: configuration specified the fields ["core_tags"], but they weren't used

Another thing I noticed - Upon installation no Telegraph folder is created in the InfluxDB folder.

I am a noob in this environment, so I don't want to start editing the telegraf config file and potentially breaking something. Does anyone have any advice or insight as to what I may be able to do here?

Well, I commented out the ["core tags"] = false line in the [[inputs.cpu]] section in the telegraph config file. Now I'm getting a new error on the telegraf log. It reads:

[inputs.apcupsd] Error in plugin: dial tcp 127.0.0.1:3551: connect: connection refused

Has anyone run into this problem? Does the UPS have to be a "Smart UPS"? I'm not sure if my APC UPS 1000VA is capable of connecting to the internet...

Edited by Jajunk88

Are you getting the UPS stats on the dashboard of your UNRAID server, like this?  image.png.2fb64fd3ce861d311eb3f63ac855d7e7.png

If not, then you probably have some additional configuration to make sure that data is being received in UNRAID, if your UPS is capable of reporting and already connected to your UNRAID server via USB.  That's done on the Settings page under Systems Settings | UPS Settings.

My recommendation would be to comment out that line until you have telegraf up and running - then you can experiment with changes to telegraf.conf and adding back in additional plugins by un-commenting those lines.

Don't be afraid of editing the telegraf.conf file, it's pretty simple.  Most of it is just un-commenting sections that you want to add and changing default values/addresses to match your system. Just make sure you make a backup copy of a known working config file before you start editing, in case you need to roll back.  And, after each change you will either need to restart the telegraf service from the terminal, or restart the docker, to incorporate the change.

Depending on your level of interest in Grafana/Influx, I found it very helpful to use InfluxDB Studio running on a Windows PC to see all of the measurements that were being stored in the database.  That let me see what was being recorded by telegraf in the database, which helped troubleshoot areas where I wanted to customize the UUD and other dashboards in Grafana.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Ludditus said:

Are you getting the UPS stats on the dashboard of your UNRAID server, like this?  image.png.2fb64fd3ce861d311eb3f63ac855d7e7.png

If not, then you probably have some additional configuration to make sure that data is being received in UNRAID, if your UPS is capable of reporting and already connected to your UNRAID server via USB.  That's done on the Settings page under Systems Settings | UPS Settings.

My recommendation would be to comment out that line until you have telegraf up and running - then you can experiment with changes to telegraf.conf and adding back in additional plugins by un-commenting those lines.

Don't be afraid of editing the telegraf.conf file, it's pretty simple.  Most of it is just un-commenting sections that you want to add and changing default values/addresses to match your system. Just make sure you make a backup copy of a known working config file before you start editing, in case you need to roll back.  And, after each change you will either need to restart the telegraf service from the terminal, or restart the docker, to incorporate the change.

Depending on your level of interest in Grafana/Influx, I found it very helpful to use InfluxDB Studio running on a Windows PC to see all of the measurements that were being stored in the database.  That let me see what was being recorded by telegraf in the database, which helped troubleshoot areas where I wanted to customize the UUD and other dashboards in Grafana.

Hey thanks for the response. What you're saying makes sense. I think my UPS is limited in this capability though. I say that because there is no USB port to be found on the UPS. There are 3 ethernet ports - 1 reads Network In, 2 reads Network Out, and the 3rd reads Data Port. My thinking is that the Data Port ethernet connected to the server would give me this connection, however, there is only 1 ethernet port on my server (which is connected to my UDM). Seems like my setup is limited. Oh well. Again, thanks for the insight.

There are a couple ways to get the UPS data - USB connection or over the network.  Sounds like your UPS only has the network option.  You may need to connect the UPS directly to the network (router or switch) instead of to your server, then the server would point to the IP address of the UPS.  You can read about the different kind of connections at http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/#supported-upses-and-cables  -- sounds like you will be using SNMP.  The UNRAID UPS menu has options for ethernet/SNMP as well as the USB connection.

Once you have the UPS data connected to UNRAID, telegraf should report it regardless of whether you are using a network or USB connection.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, Ludditus said:

There are a couple ways to get the UPS data - USB connection or over the network.  Sounds like your UPS only has the network option.  You may need to connect the UPS directly to the network (router or switch) instead of to your server, then the server would point to the IP address of the UPS.  You can read about the different kind of connections at http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/#supported-upses-and-cables  -- sounds like you will be using SNMP.  The UNRAID UPS menu has options for ethernet/SNMP as well as the USB connection.

Once you have the UPS data connected to UNRAID, telegraf should report it regardless of whether you are using a network or USB connection.

So I tried all 3 ports on the UPS end plugged into my UDM router. I kept checking my UDM settings under "Wired" devices and never saw the UPS pop up in the menu, thus not getting on the internet. Not really sure how to get the UPS online. If this is an easy fix I'd love to go down this route, if it's a cumbersome process then it's not something I'll explore (it's a luxury). Thanks for your help here.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:03 AM, Jajunk88 said:

Hi - 

I'm running unRAID 6.11.0-rc4.

Same thing here as Jajunk88, plus all I get when trying to create a data source in Grafana is 'failed to update datasource'.

I want UUD, but I'm stuck dead in the water.

Edit (9/7/22): I finally got everything working using HStep20's docker-compose stack method (https://github.com/HStep20/Ultimate-Unraid-Dashboard-Guide) and have been setting up everything to my liking and tweaking it; so far, I'm liking it and have also installed a UPS dashboard that reads info from NUT (which has been eye-opening as to exactly how much power my unRAID server and network gear pulls and the cost). The only thing I have an issue with now is that Grafana's saying there's an update, but I can't install it the "regular" way, because it was installed as part of the docker-compose stack, not standalone. I've tried Compose Pull, with taking the stack down with Compose Down, running Compose Pull, then starting the stack back up with Compose Up, as well as just hitting Compose Pull with the stack still running, all to no avail.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by dbaggett262
On 8/27/2022 at 1:38 PM, Jajunk88 said:

So I tried all 3 ports on the UPS end plugged into my UDM router. I kept checking my UDM settings under "Wired" devices and never saw the UPS pop up in the menu, thus not getting on the internet. Not really sure how to get the UPS online. If this is an easy fix I'd love to go down this route, if it's a cumbersome process then it's not something I'll explore (it's a luxury). Thanks for your help here.

My only other suggestion would be try to track down a manual for the UPS and see what it says about options for network monitoring.  And/or do some google searching for the UPS model number to see what you can find about that specific device.

• 2 weeks later...