Slow Copy Speeds When Writing to Array

Diesal

Good afternoon all,

I recently bought a LSI SAS 9211-8i controller on ebay and quickly ditched my HP Microsever, so that I can add additional disks to my array.

Since I'm lazy I simply reformatted all my disks to I can get up and running quickly (backed up what I needed to a separate NFS share)  - bearing in mind that this is the first time I'm using a HBA adapter - I'm not sure the speeds I'm getting is correct, 30 - 40 Megabytes a second seems a bit slow?

This is not isolated to the NFS, copying via SMB results in a similar speed.

Here's what I'm copying right now as an example:

image.png.e87277b4ef827c9669f9c13cce0f0910.png

Any insight would be appreciated :)

Regards,

Diesal

Quick edit:

I actually followed Wendel's guide over at level1techs, and my ZFS performance is abysmall as well (tested using fio) - less than 10 Megabytes a second. I assume this is related ?

athena-diagnostics-20200914-1536.zip

Edited by Diesal
Commented on ZFS performance
12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That is not atypical when writing to the parity protected array.    You may find this section of the online documentation useful in explains why and the options that are available for maximising performance.

Thanks for sharing from a quick surface read - I have reconstruct write enabled. So it's strange to see that I'm still getting around 40 mbps.

I just realized that I need to test using the motherboard's SATA ports to rule out the HBA being a possibility.

Will provide an update later.

Edited by Diesal