GPU fans keep on spinning after shutdown of vm

Maginos

Hi guys,

I have a question on the following behavior of my GPU. I have a AMD HD 6870 (i7-860, MB: Asus P7P55D, latest version of unRAID), which I passthrough to a WIN 10 VM. When I boot the unRAID server, the GPU fans are quiet and also when I start the VM. But after I shut down the VM, the GPU fans ramp up and go to their maximum. This behavior can only be solved by starting a VM or rebooting the unRAID server. This is not only related to the WIN 10 VM, but also to other VMs, which have this GPU passthroughed.

Here in the forum, I found this thread, which perfectly describes my observations, unfortunately the solution was to replace the graphics card.

In WIN 10, the graphics card is recognized by the device manager and no error occurs. In Linux Mint I get the message, that there's no hardware acceleration, but the card is recognized correctly. So if I shutdown WIN 10 and LM, the GPU fans ramp up, but if I shutdown for example a Xubuntu VM, the fans stay quiet. For whatever reason.

Has anyone any idea, what I could do? Thank you very much for your help!

Maginos

Edited by Maginos
  • Upvote 1