RTX 30XX passthrough?

Jaster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I recently bought RTX 3080. I can confirm passtrough works like a charm. It has only two devices (video & audio) compared to the previous series. So it's even easier to passtrough.

I confirm Moonlight streaming also works. You only need to update driver in your VM to the 30xx supported version. Got  average +30% performance over my RTX 2080 Ti.

However Nvidia unraid plugin doesn't ship newer driver yet. So nvidia-smi doesn't work for me on the host system.

I was lucky enough to grab a 3070 today, I popped it in my unraid setup. It was super easy to passthrough, only video and audio, it doesn’t have a usb controller like the 20xx series

but usually when my vm is off (with previous cards 1660ti and 1080super) the GPU fans stop spinning. But with the 3070, the fans never stop

anyway to solve this?

On 10/30/2020 at 4:37 AM, Superdean56 said:

I was lucky enough to grab a 3070 today, I popped it in my unraid setup. It was super easy to passthrough, only video and audio, it doesn’t have a usb controller like the 20xx series

but usually when my vm is off (with previous cards 1660ti and 1080super) the GPU fans stop spinning. But with the 3070, the fans never stop

anyway to solve this?

I believe whether a GPU has a zero RPM mode for it's fans is governed by its VBIOS or firmware.  Check if the OEM provides alternate firmware for it

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 7:37 AM, Superdean56 said:

anyway to solve this?

I suspect you need to have compatible nvidia drivers in the host system whether unraid nvidia or manually installed.

I checked my 3080 and the fans never stop while in host, however if I passthrough it to my Windows 10 VM where the latest drivers installed the fans stop.

• 4 weeks later...

Sry Guys if i pull this bit older thread back up, got myself a 30 series card today and need some more information.

As i had an AMD Card before i only needed to put the vbios into me VM Edit page and that worked nicely.

With the 30 Series, i did that aswell but i wont get an output on my screen. So one question does the vbios dumps from GPUz need to be edited as before on older Gens and if so it seem like the Hexedit seems to be different from what spaceinvader showed in his videos with older Gen Nvidias.

Thanks  

2 hours ago, Salamy said:

Sry Guys if i pull this bit older thread back up, got myself a 30 series card today and need some more information.

As i had an AMD Card before i only needed to put the vbios into me VM Edit page and that worked nicely.

With the 30 Series, i did that aswell but i wont get an output on my screen. So one question does the vbios dumps from GPUz need to be edited as before on older Gens and if so it seem like the Hexedit seems to be different from what spaceinvader showed in his videos with older Gen Nvidias.

Thanks  

I'm not sure so I recommend using the command line method to dump the VBIOS.   Also you may not actually need two GPUs as suggested.  You might save yourself some hassle by restarting the system without any videos cables connected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM7ntkiUoPk