I want to make a way to play audiobook from my server to my phone when I am out on my runs.. how should I go about that?

questionbot

Well I have got the basics of unraid down and have my home server seeming to work very well for plex and pvr and all that... now I want to branch out into something more complex.

I'd like to find a way to stream audiobooks from my home server to my phone to listen to while I am going on a run.

I'm concerned about streaming content like this outside of the house. Australia has some wonky privacy laws so I would really only want to do this if I am comfortable that the stream is private from my ISP. I have heard about a "reverse proxy" and setting up a "Open VPN Server" but not sure how that would relate to this idea, and I do not know what software I should use to do it.

Like do I make some kind of streaming service? Or do I connect via a vpn tunnel and physically map the directories to my phone (I use andorid) and just read the files as if they were on a local network.

I'd appreciate any direction or docker apps you might recommend. Thanks!

Edited by questionbot

If you don't mind treating your audiobooks as if they are just music, then there are several options to stream music from your server. In Unraid, you can search under Apps - Media servers and there are plenty of media servers to examine.  If you start from those, you should be able to determine how hard (or easy) it is to deal with your particular needs.

Airsonic works great for all remote audio streaming. I believe there is a Booksonic as well which is a slimmed down version of Airsonic primarily for audiobooks if that is all you currently want.   And yes, I would recommend using some kind of reverse proxy. Try out NginxProxyManager Docker (I just tried it out and find it easier to set up than the Letsencrypt Docker).

You should check your client too as I don't know that all clients support bookmarking the same (which can be especially painful with large audiobooks).

On 9/21/2020 at 3:11 AM, Loch said:

Airsonic works great for all remote audio streaming. I believe there is a Booksonic as well which is a slimmed down version of Airsonic primarily for audiobooks if that is all you currently want.   And yes, I would recommend using some kind of reverse proxy. Try out NginxProxyManager Docker (I just tried it out and find it easier to set up than the Letsencrypt Docker).

You should check your client too as I don't know that all clients support bookmarking the same (which can be especially painful with large audiobooks).

Thanks.... booksonic looks to be what I am looking for... cheers. Still, of I am doing all this I may as well support music streaming as well.. I think AirSoinc might be better.

I have andoird phone... what client do you recommend. I have been using "Smart Audio Book PLayer" for years now.

14 hours ago, questionbot said:

Thanks.... booksonic looks to be what I am looking for... cheers. Still, of I am doing all this I may as well support music streaming as well.. I think AirSoinc might be better.

I have andoird phone... what client do you recommend. I have been using "Smart Audio Book PLayer" for years now.

Just some thoughts from my experiences.

For music, if you're already running Plex and have PlexPass, you can add your music share to Plex and stream to PlexAmp (which is awesome).  Or, if you're not resource contrained, run an Airsonic docker for music and Booksonic for books.

For books I heartily recommend Booksonic.  The Booksonic Android app is pretty good but what I usually do is use the Booksonic app to cache the next few books I want to listen to, then point Smart Audiobook Player's library to the Booksonic download folder and play them through Smart Audiobook Player (because the speed adjustment just works better).

I've got them all running behind SWAG (reverse proxy).

Hope that helps.

I migrated to the cloud (Google Play Music) a while ago but any subsonic client should work with Airsonic. DSub used to be the best but it hasn't been updated in a long time and sounds like it is loosing functionality. Ultrasonic sounds like it may be a viable option. If you go the Booksonic route, the booksonic app gets good reviews.   

Plexamp looks nice and it sounds like there is some active development on some similar apps for Jellyfin on Reddit

Now with Google Play Music :( shutting down I may have to starting looking at self hosting again.