best drive for Blueray ripping???

SPOautos

Hello, I have some Blueray dvd's I would like to rip. What drive have you guys found to be the best for this?  I would also like to use it to play a wide assortment of disks in addition to ripping.

Also, what software/app do you guys use that works in Unraid?  I have MakeMKV and Handbrake, but neither of them will play anything directly in Unraid, displayed on my TV.  Is there anything that will allow for that?

Edited by SPOautos

I cannot speak to "best" but I use a Buffalo BRXL-PT6U2VB that been re-flashed to a more friendly firmware.  There is a guy on the Makemkv forum that will either sell you a pre-flashed drive or you can send him your drive to be "corrected".  I would give you the direct link, but I am not sure that is allowed here. 

I have not found any software to play movies from Unraid, but I also haven't really looked.  I currently use Plex to play movies on the T.V. or a Win10 PC at my desk attached via the network to the Unraid server. 

LG WH16NS60 with makemkv, supports 4k blurays with firmware update. Also a pioneer drive for standard blurays, can't remember the model. I've had others in the past, never had any trouble with any working with makemkv, so I'm not sure if there's a best.

For direct play I've tried using a windows 10 VM with a passthrough blu-ray drive with anydvdhd, but it just wasn't reliable unless I passed through the entire sata controller the drive was on.

Realistically I can rip a disc and have it playing in 30-40 minutes, so I just gave up on direct playing them.

As far as I am aware, for DVDs and normal HD blu-rays, MakeMKV does not have specific requirements (although I only use MakeMKV under Windows).  If you need to rip 4K blu-rays, then MakeMKV has very specific requirements that the drive be one described as "UHD friendly".  This thread on the MakeMKV forums gives pretty comprehensive details. https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634  (Hope it's OK to link to there from here...)  

Note that for some drives, the firmware needs to be earlier than a specified version, and downgrading from later versions may not always be possible (lots of details in that thread).  For what it's worth I use the Asus BW-16D1HT, but bought 2 or 3 years ago. 

Edit: I should add that I only rip to my server - I don't generally play from the optical drive.  The only time the disc gets played properly is very rare and in the Blu-ray player under the TV... :)

Edited by S80_UK
  • 3 years later...

This is related in a way. Sorry I’m new to unraid, but can someone guide me in how to allow my blu-ray drives (2) passthrough to my windows 10 pro vm? I’ve looked and couldn’t find a post related to this… if it exists can you please direct me to it?

I have the virtualization turned on in the bios and I can see them as listed devices under scsi. I’ve tried playing with the different settings when editing the vm, but still cannot see the drives in the w10 vm.