Moving from Synology to Unraid.

dabone

I'm converting a 12 bay xpenology box to unraid, and was wondering if the turbo write (or Reconstruct Write) give performance like a standard raid config.

I'm used to all the drives being spun up all the time.. the idea of spinning them down worries me more than keeping them on.

10 4TB for data,

1 8tb and 1 4tb for parity.. (I'll get more 8tbs in the future)

Well, I'm trying to transfer 32TB off my synology, How long should I plan for?

(Both units have 10GB ethernet, direct attached to each other. Currently I've got  the unraid mapped under the synology and first test I'm rsyncing a .6 TB share to the unraid.) I'll get rsync working straight between units in a bit, I just wanted to see what this could do currently.

I ended up removing the parity drives from the array, and I'll add them back after the copy. Decent speeds, but I do miss my real raid sets, as they are faster.

But the end goal here is being able to expand to 26 drives, for a raw capacity of 88TB using the current drives I have.

My current main unit is topped out at 36TB. Then I had another with 11 4TB installed. I've gutted that one to build the unraid.

After everything is transferred and working from the main Xpenology, I'm converting it into a jbod unit and attaching it to the second HBA I've ordered for the unraid.