shutting down unraid and WOL issues

loady

I am not sure if this is relevant to UNraid itself or my hardware or a bit of both, i am using the same power supply that used to WOL my former set up. When shutting down UNraid the onboard NIC or add in NIC do not stay alive, there is no light on them when powered down, i have wake by PCI events enabled in the bios and have also tried toggling about PSU idle settings to no avail, the odd thing is though, if i shutdown unraid and then remove the power from PSU and leave for 30 seconds, when i plug it back in the NIC leds will be lit, obviously this is not possible for me to WOL remotely as i can't be here to do that when i am turning the server on and off. Is there a setting of UNraid when powering down that is completely powering everything off ? is there something i could try?

4 minutes ago, testdasi said:

That is mostly a BIOS function since a shutdown is kinda the same with all OS. You can test it with a bare metal Windows or a Ubuntu USB stick to see if there's any diff. If there's a diff with the test then the quirk may be to do with UEFI boot vs Legacy boot.

thats interesting...are you saying its possible to turn off UEFI and that might cure the issue?

22 minutes ago, loady said:

thats interesting...are you saying its possible to turn off UEFI and that might cure the issue?

Whether it's possible or not depends on whether your hardware requires UEFI or not. Some rare hardware just wouldn't boot properly without UEFI so in most cases, Legacy ("BIOS") boot is an option.

That may or may not fix the issue but worth a try.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, Vr2Io said:

You could try type the command "ethtool -s interface wol g" before shutdown. Interface is WOL NIC name, e.g. eth0 eth1 etc

If this work, then add the command in /boot/config/go file.

That seems to have worked, what was that all about, i didnt have to do this before

On 9/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, Vr2Io said:

You could try type the command "ethtool -s interface wol g" before shutdown. Interface is WOL NIC name, e.g. eth0 eth1 etc

If this work, then add the command in /boot/config/go file.

That seems to have worked, what was that all about, i didnt have to do this before.

Where would i add that o n this file..at the end ?

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
/boot/unmenu/uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 
/usr/local/sbin/cache_dirs -w -m 1 -M 10 -d 9999

unraid_notify start
/boot/unmenu/uu