UDMA CRC Error during parity check

ayire

Picked up two 12TB shucked drives on reddit which no millage. Though during the parity rebuild, it was constantly throwing UDMA CRC errors which I read was a bad sata cable. Given that, I swapped the SATA cable from a hard drive not reporting errors, and the counter still went up on the shucked drives.

SMART constantly passes. Is this UNRAID being picky?
Kc3CyB3.png

BmMwQkU.png

12 minutes ago, ayire said:

Is this UNRAID being picky?

Unraid is just reporting what the drive SMART reports.

CRC errors are connection problems, these are recorded by the drive firmware and returned by the drive in the SMART report, just like all the other SMART attributes.

You can acknowledge the current count by clicking on the SMART warning on the Dashboard. It will warn again if the count increases. If they do continue to increase try to fix the connection problem.

21 minutes ago, ayire said:

I swapped the SATA cable from a hard drive not reporting errors, and the counter still went up on the shucked drives.

Other things besides bad cables can cause connection problems. Probably more common than bad cables is simply not having a good connection between the cable and drive or cable and port. Make sure there is no tension on the cable that might pull on the connection. Also, don't bundle SATA cables, they are not shielded and bundling them together can cause crosstalk between them.

My unraid server is built within a Fractal 804 + GIGABYTE C246M-WU4, using the onboard SATA.

I did ease up on tension from one side of the case to the other but I did bundle them with velcro. Will try to pull the velcro out and let them sprawl out more since I did 2 bundles of 4.

Though overall, CRC errors doesn't really mean it's a bad drive from what I read?