Got the Infamous Red Dot on Drive

asopala

Checked Unraid during a parity check (those take quite a while I must say, usually 24+ hours for my array), and Disk 3, a Seagate ST3000DM001 3 terabyte drive, got disabled.  I don't know how to read SMART and diagnostics reports, so I left them here, as it said in the Troubleshooting section of the Wiki.  Let me know if I'm missing something or whatnot, or what's up with the drive.

Thank goodness for dual parity though, seriously.

alexnas-diagnostics-20200923-2001.zip alexnas-smart-20200923-2007.zip

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

One of the few (only?) drives to have a WIKI devoted to the abnormally high failure rate.

I still have two on them left in my Media server.  They are both now over seven years old (poweron hours) and still going strong.  I have one that is four years old that was pulled and replaced by a 6TB drive.  I have it on the shelf as an emergency cold spare.  Apparently, they do pretty well after the voluminous percentage of 'bad actors' have expired.  I seem to recall that I had five of them are one time. 

I also have three Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000  in my Test Bed server that are close to nine years old.    Unraid with its disk spindown feature seems to be pretty easy on HD's...

Edited by Frank1940
6 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Apparently, they do pretty well after the voluminous percentage of 'bad actors' have expired.  I seem to recall that I had five of them are one time. 

Yeah, even a 50% failure rate means a very high number of good working drives remain in service. It's just... well... if I had a choice, I'd prefer to not use them.

• 3 weeks later...