Jump to content
asopala

Got the Infamous Red Dot on Drive

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Checked Unraid during a parity check (those take quite a while I must say, usually 24+ hours for my array), and Disk 3, a Seagate ST3000DM001 3 terabyte drive, got disabled.  I don't know how to read SMART and diagnostics reports, so I left them here, as it said in the Troubleshooting section of the Wiki.  Let me know if I'm missing something or whatnot, or what's up with the drive.

 

Thank goodness for dual parity though, seriously.

alexnas-diagnostics-20200923-2001.zip alexnas-smart-20200923-2007.zip

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

One of the few (only?) drives to have a WIKI devoted to the abnormally high failure rate.

 

So, your title of infamous applies to the drive as well as the red dot.

Makes me regret having two, I'll tell you that.  I'll have to keep an eye on the other one.  As far as this one, anybody know?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

One of the few (only?) drives to have a WIKI devoted to the abnormally high failure rate.

I still have two on them left in my Media server.  They are both now over seven years old (poweron hours) and still going strong.  I have one that is four years old that was pulled and replaced by a 6TB drive.  I have it on the shelf as an emergency cold spare.  Apparently, they do pretty well after the voluminous percentage of 'bad actors' have expired.  I seem to recall that I had five of them are one time. 

 

I also have three Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000  in my Test Bed server that are close to nine years old.    Unraid with its disk spindown feature seems to be pretty easy on HD's...

 

Edited by Frank1940

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Apparently, they do pretty well after the voluminous percentage of 'bad actors' have expired.  I seem to recall that I had five of them are one time. 

Yeah, even a 50% failure rate means a very high number of good working drives remain in service. It's just... well... if I had a choice, I'd prefer to not use them.

Share this post


Link to post

Little update to this, I just had my other one die right after.  So yeah, I'd avoid that drive like the plague.  Lesson learned.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, asopala said:

Little update to this, I just had my other one die right after.  So yeah, I'd avoid that drive like the plague.  Lesson learned.

I am reminded of an old country expression---  If it wasn't for bad luck, I have no luck at all!

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I am reminded of an old country expression---  If it wasn't for bad luck, I have no luck at all!

Born under a bad sign...

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.