[SOLVED] Unraid webUI not starting after shutdown and defect drive

Hairy

Hello there. I am quite a new guy on Unraid and encountered an issue where I don't know further what to do.

I am using a HP ProLiant D380p with 12 drives (2 parity) and it worked until some days ago.

Unraid showed some errors on a rather old disk (read errors) and I wanted to change the drive.

I set in the config the array automount to OFF and shutdown the server over the power button, waited until it was off and waited some days untill the new HDD arrives.

After the new HDD arrived, I replaced it, started the server and...nothing.

The webUI was not at all loading, but I was able to login with SSH and the internal virtual monitor on the HP iLO.

I also reformatted the USB stick and copied all config files in there, nothing.

Tried to start in safe mode without UI and still nothing.

Tried it with GUI and it throws a PCIe error, seems to be a known issue with the internal Matrox display driver (atleast on Windows), but as driver replacement is not possible within unraid I did not do anything more in there, as I was otherwise able to login over ssh or the internal terminal.

Any clues what it could be? I read that it maybe is some issue with mounting the drives, but to be honest I am not really fluid with Linux and I don't know how to list all connected drives. I also can't find the thread anymore. It was something about that the mount process was hung up and halted everything else or similar.

I tried df -h, but I could not see any of my drives in there, but I am unaware if they whould even show up?

The server is using a Smart Array P420i Controller, with HBA enabled and I did not changed in the server anything for months.

I also uploaded the diagnostics.

Any clues what to try as I am scared to lose all of my files or docker container? The array is still in a broken state, as I had no chance of starting to repair the new drive and the pasity disks. I also changed back to the "defect" drive as I thought that the new disk was causing some issues. So for the actual state, it has all drives including the defect one in there.

tower-diagnostics-20200924-1900.zip

I am not sure how pushs are handled here, but I wanted to ask if there is any way to get it back up. I had a critical failure at my home because of bad weather and would need a saved backup from the unraid server :( 

How to know what process is hanging with the mounting and how to fix it? I am quite nervous right now.

Thank you for your reply :) 
Will try when I'm back from work. As far as I understood I must keep the super.dat or similar named always on the stick. That one file which keeps the information about the disk order/assignment. 

So the steps would be using the default config with that one disk location file and replacing it step by step with the config of mine?

May I also ask how and where you saw that the boot was not finishing? Is it possible to see at what exact step it is failing?

I am quite overwhelmed with the logs. Not that I am not used to work with logs, but more of to work with logs about a (for me unknown) system (unix). 

I would then be hopefully less annoying in this forum :) 

If you need to try the default config you can restore the key file and super.dat, both on the config folder.

26 minutes ago, Hairy said:

May I also ask how and where you saw that the boot was not finishing?

Syslog stops after loading all the plugins, before starting GUI and other services, another thing you can try, before redoing the flash, is to boot in safe mode.

• Thanks 1

ok seems to be a config issue. With keeping it completly original besides the key and super.dat it is booting and I was able to get quick and dirty the needed backup at least. Now the hunt begins finding last changed/defect/weird config.
Way less nervous now :D

The real weird thing starting it wthout plugins did not helped.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 1

ok found it. The issue was the Kata Runtime. If I delete that plugin it is in the state with the defect HDD which has read errors again, but booting!

Just wanted to thank you for directing me in the right direction.

I have still no answer why it was not able to boot into safemode, but well no need for it anymore :D 

Still it took a hit on my view on Unraid as it is not that hassle free some people are claiming it should be, but atleast it is working again. Maybe a small loading screen like ESXI it has would be nice so that we can see how far it is at booting :) Now the next hurdle with changing the defect drive.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Unraid webUI not starting after shutdown and defect drive