Mover schedule not recommended - Why?

Nanobug

Hello unRAID forums.
I'm still learning all of this.
I did Google, I've searched the forums and on the unRAID documentations, but I can't find the answer to my questions.

This might be incorrect, and it's just a coincidence that I happened to find post and people saying this.

But why is it recommended not to have a scheduler enable for the mover?

I can't find a reason why. But it seems like there's people out there not recommending it.

Just now, Squid said:

Where did you ever see that??  Without a trick, it's not even possible to outright disable the schedule....

I don't have a specific place since I've heard and seen it on different places, I can't link or tell you.
I also wrote that it might have been a coincidence that I found places that said that, but I couldn't find any evidence or post connected to unRAID from something more trustworthy, that could back it up. So I thought I'd ask about it, because it made no sense to me.

Sounds like folklore passed on by people who don't know how things work.

Or maybe you just misinterpreted good advice.

If you schedule mover to run more often hoping it will fix the problem of filling cache, then the advice would be to reconsider what you are doing. No matter how frequently you move, you can't move from cache to slower array as fast as you can write to faster cache. Mover is intended for idle time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 3:45 PM, trurl said:

Sounds like folklore passed on by people who don't know how things work.

Or maybe you just misinterpreted good advice.

If you schedule mover to run more often hoping it will fix the problem of filling cache, then the advice would be to reconsider what you are doing. No matter how frequently you move, you can't move from cache to slower array as fast as you can write to faster cache. Mover is intended for idle time.

Yeah, that's what my conclusion ended up at.

I've set the mover to move when it's filled up by 80 %, otherwise I'm just doing it manually.

1 hour ago, Nanobug said:

Yeah, that's what my conclusion ended up at.

I've set the mover to move when it's filled up by 80 %, otherwise I'm just doing it manually.

Unless you have a reason not to do so, why not leave the option to run it automatically overnight active as well?   That way you may get most of the moves happening in what would otherwise be idle time.

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Unless you have a reason not to do so, why not leave the option to run it automatically overnight active as well?   That way you may get most of the moves happening in what would otherwise be idle time.

I disabled it when I started seeing people saying it wasn't a good idea. But I'll set it up again.
I'll go through my scheduled things so it doesn't overlap too much with other things.