Multiple Virtual Displays on VM (without GPU passthrough)

Hello fellow Unraid-ers,  I have a bit of a complicated question today.

Goal

I would like to spread my Windows VM (on Unraid) across my 3 displays on my Ubuntu Desktop PC.

Does anyone know how to edit the VM to have 2 (or 3) virtual monitors?  That would allow me to use multi-monitor RDP, or open 3 VNC connections to the VM.

Background Context

I use a Windows VM on my Unraid server to WFH.  My desktop PC is bare metal Ubuntu.  I simply load the VM via RDP and work within the Windows VM.  Works wonderfully...except I can only use 1 monitor for the Windows VM.  I do not have GPU Passthrough as the graphics performance has been fine.  I spend most of my day in Excel, Outlook- these tasks do not demand high graphics performance.  I believe I could purchase a graphics card and use 2 HDMI (or DP) dummy plugs, but I would like to avoid this solution if possible.  I imagine there must be a way to do this with software.  (However I could be wrong!)

If this is not possible within Unraid- but is within Proxmox, XCP-NG or some other hypervisor- It might be a good excuse for another server.

Thanks to all in advanced for any input.

Try to look at this:

He's using spice for the vm and remote-viewer for the client to connect to.

Hope it will solve your issue (not directly tested).

Update:

I'm also reading that with spice protocol it is possible to have multiple monitors by adding multiple QXL devices.

https://people.freedesktop.org/~teuf/spice-doc/html/ch02s07.html

You may need also QXL drivers for your windows guest.

I'm updating with this second solution because I have the doubt that you could find 4 display only on a linux guest and not on windows..

Edited by ghost82

@ghost82 Thanks for the recommendation.  I have found a solution that seems to be working, but is not yet my ultimate goal.  Although that solution was not highly relevant towards the Windows VM, the video you linked had some good info in the comments section.  Thank you.

I have documented the "part 1" of my solution below for anyone interested.

My Win10 VM on the Unraid Server is a standard Win10 VM within Unraid.  QXL video drivers and the rest of the standard drivers one installs when installing Win10 in a VM on Unraid.  I am not using any GPU passthrough.

Setup the needed items for RDP access within the Win10 Unraid VM.  (Settings -> System -> Remote Access)

On your physical desktop Win10 system, launch RDP and enter the hostname/IP for your remote VM.

Click "Show options" in the RDP dialoge.

image.png.2228e1b0cb0125284f1b6de5cd154b70.png

Go to the display tab and check the box that says "Use all my monitors for the remote session"

image.png.18d8a7d81361c1e29615d12c43937ca2.png

Click "Connect" in the bottom right corner.  Type in credentials if prompted, click "yes" if you receive a warning about a bad cert.  The VM will be visable on both your displays - thereby creating a multi monitor VM.

It is important to note- the first time I tried this, I tried it on a system with only 1 monitor and it had no effect.  I believe if you have 1 display - you will not be able to see two remote VM windows on the same screen.

That was very easy- Now I will test if I can do this same process from my Ubuntu desktop PC using Remmina or another RDP client.  That is my ultimate goal.

Edited by charlescc1000
  • Like 3
  • 2 years later...