[Support] Linuxserver.io - Librespeed


8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

linuxserver_medium.png?v=4&s=4000

 

Application Name: Librespeed
Application Site: https://github.com/librespeed/speedtest
Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/librespeed/
Github: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-librespeed

 

Please post any questions/issues relating to this docker you have in this thread.

If you are not using Unraid (and you should be!) then please do not post here, rather use the linuxserver.io forum for support.

Link to post

Tried it out.. seems nearly useless/pointless in it's current state.  To make use of this docker it would seem that you should configure it with more arguments as seen here https://github.com/librespeed/speedtest/blob/docker/doc.md

 

Also, it would seem that it takes some amount of customization to get working in the first place... there appears to be no servers configured by default to run a speed test against.  So hmm.. more work and effort involved than it might be worth just for a speed test.

 

The privacy policy leaves much to be desired.  It's unclear whether or not the TELEMETRY option turns off all the data collection mentioned in the privacy policy.

Link to post
8 hours ago, Energen said:

Tried it out.. seems nearly useless/pointless in it's current state.  To make use of this docker it would seem that you should configure it with more arguments as seen here https://github.com/librespeed/speedtest/blob/docker/doc.md

 

Also, it would seem that it takes some amount of customization to get working in the first place... there appears to be no servers configured by default to run a speed test against.  So hmm.. more work and effort involved than it might be worth just for a speed test.

 

The privacy policy leaves much to be desired.  It's unclear whether or not the TELEMETRY option turns off all the data collection mentioned in the privacy policy.

What exactly is needed in your opinion?

 

Telemetry isn't anything we added, so you have to talk to the librespeed devs about that one.

Link to post

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but this is a selfhosted speedtest application that you and other users can test the speed to the server it's installed on. Any telemetry is stored on YOUR server. e.g. http://192.168.1.34:8264/results/stats.php There you can see the telemetry data that is mentioned. 

Edited by GilbN
Link to post
1 hour ago, saarg said:

What exactly is needed in your opinion?

 

Telemetry isn't anything we added, so you have to talk to the librespeed devs about that one.

What is needed, or at least what would be extremely nice, is to be able to just install the template and run it .. out of the box, so to say.  I mean having to track down and then configure your own servers to run speed tests against is not good..  why have a working docker template that doesn't do anything?

 

I have no need for a speed test docker.. so I installed it just to check it out because it was new... found that it doesn't work.  Delete.  That's what most people are going to do.

 

Scanning through the librespeed doc file, apparently you need to add files to the server (appdata folder?) that are not included with this docker but are in the github



To install the speedtest frontend, copy the following files to your web server:

speedtest.js

speedtest_worker.js

Optionally, the results folder

 

Wait a minute... hold the horses... I was under the impression that this was a normal speed test docker.. but after some more reading this is not a standalone speed test application... it's a server/client setup.  That changes everything.

 

Test backends: the servers used to actually perform the test. There can be 1+ of these, and they only host the backend files.

 



Test backends

These are the servers that will actually be used to perform the test.

To install a backend, simply copy all the files in the backend folder to your backend server.

 

So this app is only for speedtests between multiple servers that you have access to for installing/configuring the backend stuff, or have access to the ip information for from other people running the backend servers.

 

Librespeed is a very lightweight Speedtest implemented in Javascript, using XMLHttpRequest and Web Workers. No Flash, No Java, No Websocket,

No Bullshit.

 

Perhaps that description needs to be changed to reflect that you can't just install this and run speedtests like Speedtest.net (my impression when seeing it).

Link to post
1 hour ago, Energen said:

What is needed, or at least what would be extremely nice, is to be able to just install the template and run it .. out of the box, so to say.  I mean having to track down and then configure your own servers to run speed tests against is not good..  why have a working docker template that doesn't do anything?

 

I have no need for a speed test docker.. so I installed it just to check it out because it was new... found that it doesn't work.  Delete.  That's what most people are going to do.

 

Scanning through the librespeed doc file, apparently you need to add files to the server (appdata folder?) that are not included with this docker but are in the github

 

 

 

Wait a minute... hold the horses... I was under the impression that this was a normal speed test docker.. but after some more reading this is not a standalone speed test application... it's a server/client setup.  That changes everything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So this app is only for speedtests between multiple servers that you have access to for installing/configuring the backend stuff, or have access to the ip information for from other people running the backend servers.

 

 

 

 

Perhaps that description needs to be changed to reflect that you can't just install this and run speedtests like Speedtest.net (my impression when seeing it).

This is a speedtest server that is selfhosted and is used to test the connection between the user accessing the server and the server.

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.