File operations pause, hang, are sluggish

tucansam

Windows always take 99999 years to move files, so I do it from the command line as often as possible.

I've noticed in the past, and particularly lately, in fact this very instant, that file operations in general are terribly sluggish.  Whether I use rsync, mv, or cp, and whether or not its from one share to another, or one disk to another, or many disks to one disk, a large list of files will be processed, and then there is a pause.  A huge pause, generally, up to 30, 60, even 120 seconds, and then the file operation continues.

I am not using a cache drive.

I am using two parity disks.

Is this some process where a large amount of data is moved, and then the process is paused while parity is calculated, or some other event is taking place?

Thanks.

ETA even something as simple as "ls" in another terminal window hangs when the file operation is also hung.  And then both eventually wake up at the same moment.

Edited by tucansam

Right.  Still happening, got better after a reboot, started about 15 minutes into a large file transfer.

One terminal window was performing a 'mv -vf * /somewhere' type command, and in another window, the command prompt completely froze for a 'du' operation.  Could ssh in a third time, ps and htop worked fine, but ls and any other file-type operation did not.

None of my Windows PCs could see unraid's shares for 10-15 minutes at a time to boot.

Like I said, reboot unraid fixed it, then it came back shortly thereafter.

• 3 weeks later...