Preparing for a case swap

danimal86

I'm moving the server from a janky setup with 3d printed hard drive holders full of drives sitting on top of a silverstone case to a Fractal Define 7. 

What should i do to prepare everything for the swap?  I'm thinking i'll make a backup (and store on a windows pc) of my appdata/flash drive and a screenshot of my Main tab.  Anything else i should do?  I'll make sure that my cache and parity drives are connected to the mobo and the rest on a hba card

I'm hoping that something doesn't go badly, and i'm wondering why i tried to fix something that aint' broke.  

30 minutes ago, stayupthetree said:

While not an expert, I literally just did this with the same Fractal. I had a backup of my appdata/flashdrive and that was pretty much it. I actually also replaced the mobo, cpu, and ram. Every booted up and is running flawlessly no problem.

Dang.  Thats a lot to change!  

how do you like the define 7?  After i unboxed it i was shocked with how well this thing is put together.  Kinda sucked to have to buy extra hard drive trays, but not the end of the world.  

3 hours ago, stayupthetree said:

loving it. The manual is really well thought out and gives so many configuration options. You mentioned 3d Printing above, you can actually 3D Print the trays, which is what my current plan is when I extend beyond the included drive trays. This case can hold I think it said 14 drives

Yeah, i 3d printed some of the trays.  Ended up pony'ing up for the metal ones.  They just didn't feel sturdy enough out of pla.  Maybe abs would be better. 

I did add a second cage to the bottom, so i've got space to add 3 more drives + the multibracket one ontop of the basement.  

Did you use the built in fan controller?  I'm not sure how they work with unraid....

I looked through fix common problems and it just has an issue with tatauii being in slave and a docker had an update.  I cleared the notification and hasn't come back.  

I attached the diagnostic in case someone more knowledgeable than me wants to take a peek.  

really strange about my cache filling up again, maybe it was in the process of moving when i shut it down?

tower-diagnostics-20200928-1301.zip

6 hours ago, danimal86 said:

Yeah, i 3d printed some of the trays.  Ended up pony'ing up for the metal ones.  They just didn't feel sturdy enough out of pla.  Maybe abs would be better. 

I did add a second cage to the bottom, so i've got space to add 3 more drives + the multibracket one ontop of the basement.  

Did you use the built in fan controller?  I'm not sure how they work with unraid....

I haven't messed with getting fan controls going, so not sure as well. Stays steady around 50c

Most of your Cache seems to be used by your Download share that is set to YES.

It raises the question of why so much data you actually need on Cache from that share. Is 883 GB expected between 2 Mover runs?

if so your Cache size might not be appropriate

if not, why your mover does not move that data to the Array ?

What is the scheduling of your Mover ? Did it run recently ?

You can of course launch it manually.

Note that mover can't move open files, so if your Downloads includes seeding torrents, for example, they can't be moved while seeding.

Your diagnostics were just after reboot so no mover runs in syslog. If those files aren't getting moved and you can't figure out why you can turn on mover logging in Settings - Scheduler.

8 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Most of your Cache seems to be used by your Download share that is set to YES.

It raises the question of why so much data you actually need on Cache from that share. Is 883 GB expected between 2 Mover runs?

if so your Cache size might not be appropriate

if not, why your mover does not move that data to the Array ?

What is the scheduling of your Mover ? Did it run recently ?

You can of course launch it manually.

I have CA Mover Tuning plugin initiate the mover at 95% full, so most of my current media stays on the cache.  

I just looked at a couple screenshots and i must have been looking at the flash drive being mostly empty, because my cache was at 89% full before i shut down.  

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Note that mover can't move open files, so if your Downloads includes seeding torrents, for example, they can't be moved while seeding.

Your diagnostics were just after reboot so no mover runs in syslog. If those files aren't getting moved and you can't figure out why you can turn on mover logging in Settings - Scheduler.

no torrents here all nzb. 

i just confirmed that my cache was not almost empty before the case swap.  I must have been looking at the flash drive being almost empty.  I always take screenshots and backup my appdata before i mess with anything.