Removing a newly added drive due to power

droopie

I installed a new drive to the array but the last drive isn't getting enough power I'm assuming. It became disabled after I added a new drive and started a parity check to see if it has enough power. Stopped the parity check. How can I remove the new drive and enabling the drive again without going into the case because it's difficult for me. The case isn't friendly to manage drives you have to pull two 5 drive racks fully out. I just want to leave it as an attached drive because everything works fine except for when doing a parity check and running all drives at once. 

3 hours ago, droopie said:

isn't getting enough power I'm assuming.

Understand assuming, but it almost impossible cause by that, disk power just ~10w, you aren't add several in once.

3 hours ago, droopie said:

I just want to leave it as an attached drive because everything works fine except for when doing a parity check and running all drives at once. 

If you add disk without format, then you can add or remove the disk without invalid the parity.

9 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Understand assuming, but it almost impossible cause by that, disk power just ~10w, you aren't add several in once.

If you add disk without format, then you can add or remove the disk without invalid the parity.

assuming is because i ran into this issue before when i first build unraid, i had a total of 8 disks. the disks at the end always give me issues. we determained that it wasnt the sata cards since i purchased two replacements with same results. purchased an extra set of 4 sas cables for the hbas so i think Jorge said it was possibly a power issue at that point or just bad drives. i took out the drives, and am now just filling it up with new drives. same issue. my power supply is 750 watts and the biggest drives are 2x two parity 8tb each drive and 2x 8tb drives, random 3x 3tb drives, 1 4tb, 1 2tb. 

so right now i just want to re-enable that last disk since its disabled and remove that new disk from the array without fully removing it from the system and leave it as an unassigned device till i add a bigger psu. the board is a P8P67 DELUXE with a i7-2600k. the case is a RSV-L4500 that comes with 6 fans at the front side. 

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

To re-enable it in the array you have to rebuild it.

To remove it from the array, New Config, unassign it, and rebuild parity.

if i remove it from the array by doing the new config, will the data from the disabled drive be lost? i would like to remove the new drive from the array and also re-enable the disabled drive but dont know which steps to start with. i am worried about making a new config and it causing issues with the disabled drive.

1 hour ago, droopie said:

my power supply is 750 watts

I use a 650w for 16 spinning disk and 1 SSD (previous are 550w for 12 disk). The main reason for not power rating issue is because CPU dynamic power usuage far away then ~10w delta.

You could try check the power cable, especially if have power splitter.

Edited by Vr2Io
14 minutes ago, trurl said:

Seems I misunderstood. It sounds like the disabled disk is not the disk you want to remove. Is that correct?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

yes im trying to just remove the new disk (3) which is empty but disk 8 is disabled assuming due to power so i just would rather continue to use unraid as it is without adding disks till i further figure out what the issue is.image.png.59e18c52967b908971371c814d407c4a.pngserver-diagnostics-20200928-1932.zip

server-diagnostics-20200928-1932.zip

Edited by droopie
2 minutes ago, droopie said:

how do i do that? do i just unselect disk 3, start the array and do a parity check? 

Looks like disk3 is already not assigned.

Stop array, unassign disk8 (and disk3 if not already), start array with both unassigned.

Stop array, reassign disk8, start array to begin disk8 rebuild.

After disk8 rebuild completes, you can shrink the array with New Config (without disk3) and rebuild parity.

1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

You should be checking to see if your PS has single or dual +12V rails.   Single rail PS's are recommended for servers. 

im using this psu https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-N1-0750-L1 i thought it would do the job for a basic media server but between the psu and cpu its more headaches then enjoyment at this time. i am not too familiar on how to check if its a single or dual but based on the specs i see two 59A under +12v so is that dual? also, is that the amount of sata leads? the psu has two power cords with each cable having 3 sata connections. so i was looking at other psu with more of these as to use less splitters.

1 hour ago, Vr2Io said:

I use a 650w for 16 spinning disk and 1 SSD (previous are 550w for 12 disk). The main reason for not power rating issue is because CPU dynamic power usuage far away then ~10w delta.

You could try check the power cable, especially if have power splitter.

what cpu do you have? im hoping i can just upgrade the cpu if that would help but it seems that 6 disks is the maximum i can have. every time i add a 7th disk (not including the two parity disks) i have this exact issue and after cable managing, it appears that its only the drives furthest from the psu.

30 minutes ago, droopie said:

what cpu do you have?

From Ryzen 1700 to i7-9700K, and later change to i7-9800X ( 165W TDP ), no planning for change PSU.

How long this PSU serve you, it should a good PSU.

30 minutes ago, droopie said:

im hoping i can just upgrade the cpu if that would help

FYR, my first Unarid was serve by ATOM J1800 with 13 disk and G4620 with 12 disk, so CPU won't the issue.

Edited by Vr2Io
2 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

From Ryzen 1700 to i7-9700K, and later change to i7-9800X ( 165W TDP ), no planning for change PSU.

How long this PSU serve you, it should a good PSU.

FYR, my first Unarid was serve by ATOM J1800 with 13 disk and G4620 with 12 disk, so CPU won't the issue.

Then I really don't know why I'm having issues. I seen people with double the amount of drives on smaller psu then what I have. I am noticing that it's the drives furthest away from the psu at the end of the line after adding drives. So 6 drives with 2 parity 0 issues till adding a drive. Disk 3 and 5 got removed because of this same issue but after rearranging and better managing the drives is when I noticed it's the last few drives. If I had added disk 3 and disk 5 like when I first started with unraid, disk 7 and 8 would have been disabled. 

I would suggest you test by connect power to new add disk, but not connect to system. If no disk drop then it could assume not power issue.

You have (1) two HBA (2) mainboard quite old (3) PCIe switch chips onboard (PEX 8608), those may also the cause, in fact I suspect problem on PCIe bridge.

Could you further try only use the HBA which haven't drop disk, then remove the other HBA, connect 8 disks to it and 1 disks to mainboard. ( total 9 disks )

** Pls setting array not auto-start and manual start array in maintenance mode, then perform parity check, this can fullload all disk and minimise the impact even disk drop / system crash .... ** 

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, droopie said:

im using this psu https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-N1-0750-L1 i thought it would do the job for a basic media server but between the psu and cpu its more headaches then enjoyment at this time. i am not too familiar on how to check if its a single or dual but based on the specs i see two 59A under +12v so is that dual? also, is that the amount of sata leads? the psu has two power cords with each cable having 3 sata connections. so i was looking at other psu with more of these as to use less splitters.

That PS is a single rail supply.  (Note that is is rated for 59A at +12V which is 708 watts and the total rating of the supply is 750 watts.  You can see that there is a bit of specmanship going on here...)

What are the chip sets that are being used on the HBA boards?  (Marvel chip sets have had issues with dropping drives in the past!)

5 hours ago, jonathanm said:

How many leads from the PSU are you using? I prefer not powering more than 4 drives from any single run, otherwise you can get voltage droop during mass power draw.

4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

And the quality of the splitter.  Try to avoid the wire-molded-in versions at all costs!  See here for details:

i have 2 main leads and each has 3 sata for a total of 2 psu cables, and 6 sata ports. so i use a 2x splitters. i labeled the two rails on the psu as rail 1 and rail 2. so for the splitter, i named the first sata nearest the psu as sata 1 rail 1, sata 2 rail 1, sata 3, rail 1, and for other rail its sata 1 rail 2, etc. so i put the two parity on rail 1 sata 1 with a splitter. disk 1-2 are on rail 2 sata 1 with splitter. the rail 1 sata 2 is disk 3-4 (only disk 4 in the array) and disk 5-6 have rail 2 sata 2 with a splitter. now when i get to the end, 7-8 rail 1 sata 3, is where i have issues. everything works fine except when i try to do a parity check does the last disk become disabled and get i/o errors. i originally had the above setup flipped so the last two are parity at the end so i was getting issues with parity disks but only when i add more disks. 

if i try molex, will the drives still spin down? or will they be at 100%? that is my only worry. 

12 minutes ago, droopie said:

i have 2 main leads and each has 3 sata for a total of 2 psu cables, and 6 sata ports. so i use a 2x splitters. i labeled the two rails on the psu as rail 1 and rail 2. so for the splitter, i named the first sata nearest the psu as sata 1 rail 1, sata 2 rail 1, sata 3, rail 1, and for other rail its sata 1 rail 2, etc. so i put the two parity on rail 1 sata 1 with a splitter. disk 1-2 are on rail 2 sata 1 with splitter. the rail 1 sata 2 is disk 3-4 (only disk 4 in the array) and disk 5-6 have rail 2 sata 2 with a splitter. now when i get to the end, 7-8 rail 1 sata 3, is where i have issues. everything works fine except when i try to do a parity check does the last disk become disabled and get i/o errors. i originally had the above setup flipped so the last two are parity at the end so i was getting issues with parity disks but only when i add more disks. 

if i try molex, will the drives still spin down? or will they be at 100%? that is my only worry. 

Molex connector does not have the 3.3V buss.  It only has the 5V and 12V busses.  (As far as I know no SSD of HD has ever required a 3.3v supply.  In fact, its presence will cause some drives to end up in a 'permanent' reset condition.  Google "3.3v HD problem" for info.)  Other than that, there is no problem is using a Molex-to-SATA converter.  Just avoid the wire-molded ones. 

EDIT: Yes, they will spin down.

Edited by Frank1940
7 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Molex connector does not have the 3.3V buss.  It only has the 5V and 12V busses.  (As far as I know no SSD of HD has ever required a 3.3v supply.  In fact, its presence will cause some drives to end up in a 'permanent' reset condition.  Google "3.3v HD problem" for info.)  Other than that, there is no problem is using a Molex-to-SATA converter.  Just avoid the wire-molded ones. 

EDIT: Yes, they will spin down.

i will give them a try. do you happen to know how many drives can split per molex? also if you live in the united states and have purchased them online, could you link some? i already know what to look for but if you have a link for a known good product that would be so helpful. thanks for all the input!