Removing a newly added drive due to power

droopie

On 9/28/2020 at 8:58 PM, trurl said:

Looks like disk3 is already not assigned.

Stop array, unassign disk8 (and disk3 if not already), start array with both unassigned.

Stop array, reassign disk8, start array to begin disk8 rebuild.

After disk8 rebuild completes, you can shrink the array with New Config (without disk3) and rebuild parity.

was successfully able to remove that drive and rebuild the emulated drive but i got a few errors in the sync correction and some in drive 7. hopefully it isnt an issue.

server-diagnostics-20201001-1351.zip

10 minutes ago, trurl said:

This sounds backwards from what I suggested. Can you explain further?

disk 3 was unassigned with the array started. stopped the array, unassigned disk 8, started the array. at this point, disk 3 and disk 8 are unassigned. i then stopped the array, reassigned disk 8, then started the array. it rebuild the disk 8 and was successful. i then went to do a new config with all the disks 1,2,4,6,7.8

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

So were the errors during data disk rebuild, during parity rebuild, or both?

after doing the new config it took me to a parity check which gave me the errors in the bottom of the page that said something like 556 sync corrected but also next to xfs for drive 7 it said like 316 i cant remember the exact numbers

Edited by droopie
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Technically, it is a parity sync not parity check after new config. In other words, a rebuild of parity, which is required since a data disk was removed and parity was no longer valid.

Do the contents of the rebuilt data disk look OK?

yea i cant tell if anything is corrupt or missing. especially in the disk 7 error. i am attaching the diag log right after it finished.

server-diagnostics-20201001-1351.zip

OK. Just trying to confirm that your last parity check had errors.

You must run a correcting parity check to correct those. And then run a non-correcting parity check to confirm you don't still have any.

Exactly zero sync errors is the only acceptable result and until you get that result you aren't finished fixing things.

On 10/4/2020 at 7:45 AM, trurl said:

OK. Just trying to confirm that your last parity check had errors.

You must run a correcting parity check to correct those. And then run a non-correcting parity check to confirm you don't still have any.

Exactly zero sync errors is the only acceptable result and until you get that result you aren't finished fixing things. no errors in smart for that drive.

i just finished another parity check run. 0 errors but got errors for disk 7. should i run it again? also attached the diag. edit: the only time i ever had errors is after connecting more drives and since they are still connected i think its that. still waiting for the molex power for sata. image.thumb.png.8596fe33482f49bf612cf27c88904a22.pngimage.thumb.png.5496e583cd549cd26720cfa7f8be8296.png

server-diagnostics-20201005-1551.zip

Edited by droopie