Array with 1 data disk - no auto restart

tapodufeu

HI all,

I have a weird situation I did not had before. I built a small server with just 1 data disk, no parity. Every time this server is restarted, the array is not restarted automatically. I have to log in and click start array manually.

One restarted, everything works perfectly, no error detected, no problem apparently.

Do you have any idea why? is it possible to have an array with just one data disk ?

Thanks for your responses.

6 hours ago, tapodufeu said:

Why it is not enable by default ?

Because there are many reasons to inspect and possibly make changes to the array before it starts. A fair number of settings must be done with the array stopped.

Many (most?) people (myself included) keep their servers running 24/7/365, and when the server is shut down, it's for a major reason, typically hardware changes. Bringing it back up, I want a chance to look things over, make sure all drives are still healthy, connected and detected properly before I start the array. If the array auto starts with missing disks, you can paint yourself into a corner that has data loss risk associated with it. I prefer to not take those risks.