What's your idle power consumption?

On 7/25/2021 at 10:13 PM, Ver7o said:

- G6400

- H410 itx

- 2x4GB

- nvme cache

- R7 240 GPU

- 1x120mm case fan which is always running

My idle consumption is about 20-21W. Without the GPU its about 15-16W. Thats with everything unused turned off and bios tuned for power savings (eg. turned off wifi antennas, bluetooth, onboard sound, turned on pcie aspm...). I'm running the conservative cpu governor as it makes zero difference in power draw but a giant difference in overall speed.

I do not use Plex with transcoding, but if thats your objective even something like G5400/G6400 is plenty powerful for such task and might be closer to your power target then an i3.

Cheers

With or without disks?

what disks do you use?

• 3 weeks later...

for my two servers, listed in my sig, here are my numbers:

i7-3770 server, idle (no activity, all disks spun down) is about 60 watts.  at 99% processor activity and all drives spun up, it is about 195 watts.

1230L server, idle at about 36 watts.  it never sees full activity, but all disks active results in just uner 60 watts.

fwiw, i am sure noone cares :)

• 3 weeks later...

Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 with a i5-6500T CPU, 16 GB of DDR4 Ram and one 1TB WD Blue SATA-SSD. Unraid 6.10 RC2 with 3 active Docker Containers (PiHole, Guacamole and NGINX Reverse Proxy) between 4,5 and 6 Watts ideling. On a Dell OptiPlex 3050 Micro, Same CPU/RAM/SSD and Unraid Version ~9W. The Dell had problems with the PKG C-States. On the Dell, the Package only goes into the PKG C3 State. On the Lenovo C7!

• 1 year later...

Hi All!

Switched recently my build from Ryzen 9 5900x hoping to get less power consumption but was pretty disappointed with the results.

I5 10400

ASRock B560M Pro4

16GB (2x8) 2666 non ECC Ram

Corsair R550X PSU

3x 18 X18 TB Exos

2x 8 TB WD

1x 1TB NVMe for Docker - always running

2x 500GB SSD Pool - spun down when not needed

2x 500GB SSD Pool - spun down when not needed

1x LSI HBA 9270-8i

10G RJ45 XG-C100C Adapter

In idle with all disks spun down I get 60-68 Watt from the wall

While using Plex the consumption rises to 86-100 Watt.

Tried using powertop autotune, but it didn't seem to help. 

Slowly I think that 68 watt is best I can get. With Ryzen 9 I had 80-90 Watt in Idle.

Hi Guys
Switched recently my build from Ryzen 7 3700x hoping to get less power consumption was pretty happy with the result.

I have two servers, i changed only the Backupserver for now. 

MB Supermicro X13SAE-F

CPU: Intel 12700

RAM: 64GB ECC DDR5 Kingston

BeQuiet! Dark Rock TF2

2x 1TB Cache NVME

1x 500GB  VM NVME

5x 16TB Toshiba MG08

1x Ironwolf 8TB

With the old Build i had a Powerconsumption of 110W with my Switch connected to it. Now i have a power consumption of about 55w. Will post more infos after i done with the Mainserver where is the only thing connected to the other USV.

59 minutes ago, fiR3W4LL said:

Hi Guys
Switched recently my build from Ryzen 7 3700x hoping to get less power consumption was pretty happy with the result.

MB Supermicro X13SAE-F

BeQuiet! Dark Rock TF2

2x 1TB Cache NVME

1x 500GB  VM NVME

5x 16TB Toshiba MG08

1x Ironwolf 8TB

With the old Build i had a Powerconsumption of 110W with my Switch connected to it. Now i have a power consumption of about 55w. Will post more infos after i done with the Mainserver where is the only thing connected to the other USV.

Hi, thx for sharing. What PSU are you using? Do U have a HBA for the drives, or directly connected to the SATA ports of the board?

2 hours ago, un4given said:

Hi, thx for sharing. What PSU are you using? Do U have a HBA for the drives, or directly connected to the SATA ports of the board?

Actually im using an BeQuiet Straight Power 11 with 650w, maybe i could optimize the Powerdraw with an other PSU i dont know.

No everything connected directly to the MoBo, but like i said. On this USV are connected the Server and the Switch with 3 Ubiquiti APs

So i can give an acurate Powerdraw of the System, on the end of this week.

• 1 month later...

My system with 24/7 availability:

Gigabyte C246-WU4-CF

Intel® Core i3-8350K @ 4.00GHz

32GB DDR4 RAM

Array:

4 x Seagate Barracuda 3,5" 6TB

1 x Crucial MX500 1TB NVME SSD (for Nextcloud and AudioBookShelf)

Parirty:

1 x Seagate Barracuda 3,5" 6TB - 6TBST6000DM003

Cache:

1 x Samsung NVME SSD 980 - 500GB

Fans:

2 x Arctic F8 PWM PST CO 80mm

1 x Arctic P12 PWM PST CO 120mm

PSU:

CoolerMaster G550M

Case:

Codegen 4U-500 v1 case.

USB:
Sonoff Zigbee USB dongle CC2652P

RFXcom rfxtrx433XL

DVB stick RTL2832U + R820T2

Microsoft Xbox One Digital TV Tuner

Smargo Smartcard Reader V2

SanDisk Cruzer Blade - 8GB for OS

Dockers:

Audiobookshelf

Pi-Hole
DelugeVPN

FR24Feed-Piaware

Glances

Grott

Home-Assistant

Homer

Krusader

MariaDB

Mosquitto

NextCloud

Nginx
Nginx-Proxy-Manager

Oscam

SmokePing

Syncthing

TVHeadend

VaultWarden

Zigbee2MQTT

-----------------------------------

Idle: ~34W

In Use: ~48w

Parity check: ~55W

Full: ~80W (only during stresstest, never happens)

Boot: peak at ~92W
Daily average:  0.98 - 1.02 KwH a day (measuring since 17Oct2022) which averages out at 42W an hour.

Edited by PaulV86
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 9:33 PM, fiR3W4LL said:

Hi Guys

MB Supermicro X13SAE-F

BeQuiet! Dark Rock TF2

2x 1TB Cache NVME

1x 500GB  VM NVME

5x 16TB Toshiba MG08

1x Ironwolf 8TB

I would love to know what the output of running `powertop` on your system is. Also, what BIOS settings do you have configured. I have a similar CPU/RAM/Motherboard combo, but cannot get the CPU (Intel 13700) to move any lower than C2 power states :(

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to compare, with increasing energy costs I would like to reduced my idle power consumption, though I think the ROI on a potential ~15W saving (£40 / $50 per year) isn't going to pay off a modern platform so I'll be sticking with this for now. 

The one thing I may change is the UPS as it adds 15-20W onto the base load according to my power socket, while a more expensive line interactive unit adds just 3-5W from what I can see in a bit of random forum feedback, so likely a UPS is the lowest hanging fruit and will pay for itself in a couple of years.

Supermicro X10SRA

Xeon E5 2660 V3 (10C / 20T)

4 x 16GB ECC

6 x 8TB

1 x 8TB parity

3 x SSD (2x cache, 1 scratch)

Quadro P2000

Corsair RM850X PSU

Idle (~51W +/- 4W resolution on the UPS) - HDD spun down

aPmOA17.png

Edited by Decto
+HDD spin down