Ryzen Dual Gamer/Docker

Started this project a few years ago, life got in my way. The original idea was to have a LAN Party in a box so my friends from out of town wouldn't need to bring their own rigs across the US. Found some interesting quality of life things and did get this setup working really well.

Current OS:6.8.3  
 CPU:  AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3.9Ghz OC
 Motherboard:  Asrock B350 Fatality Gaming K4
 RAM:  32 GB GSKILL 3000MHz

GPUs: 1 x AMD Radeon rx 570 4GB, 1 X Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB
 Case:  BitFinix (Not sure on model, no front panel for air flow)
 Drive Cage(s):  1 x Inland 480 SATA SSD, 1 x Seagate 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, 1 * HSGT 1 TB(Passthrough)
 Power Supply:  600 Watt Thermal Take 80+ 
 Fans:  2 x Front Intake 120mm, 1 x 120mm Exhaust fan.

Parity Drive:  None, This is a test case on a budget and data is backed up to a Synology NAS that is backed up to AWS Glacier.
 Data Drives:  2 TB HDD
 Cache Drive:  480 SATA SSD

Primary Use:  Currently, it runs two Windows 10 VMs and a SteamCacheBundle docker. Each VM has a GPU passthrough. Both VMs OS disk are located on the SSD Cache while 1 VM has a vdisk on the array and the other has a passthrough HDD for game storage. This motherboard has a x16 slot and an x4 slot that are both connected to the CPU, however I am then unable to use the M.2 slot as it shares its lanes with the x4. From my testing none of the cards are bottlenecked by the lane configuration. I am running the AMD GPU as primary as it will passthrough with out a GPU bios and have not had time to tinker with that.

Likes:  Interface is easy to use, monitor and is cheap for what you get for the license.

Dislikes:  Only issues I have are when using the XML editor for VMs, that you loss settings that are not in GUI. That really frustrated me when setting GPUs and their associated Sound cards as a single passthrough device. Would be a great feature add.

Add Ons Used:  Dynamix System Temperature, Dynamix System Information, Dynamix SSD TRIM

Future Plans:  As of now, I would love to get my hands on a 3900x or 3950x to have more available Cores. Also, this would allow more VMs as the motherboard supports bifurcation of the x16 slot. So a raiser and a different case could make this into a triple or quad gamer. I would need more drives and a USB card with multiple controllers for quality of life, but that is a future problem to solve.

20200725_103209.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...