HELP!!!!

On 10/3/2020 at 2:09 PM, Rovivrus said:

Are these snap shot of the bios, any help regarding the settings used I made a mistake it is not 2400 but 2666mhz the speed of the ram?

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

Your RAM is running at 2666MHz? Then it's overclocked. The Stock RAM Frequ of the i7-7700K is DDR4-2400 - so change it at the BIOS "by hand" and then do a MemTest.

FYI:

Supported RAM-Type: DDR4-2133/2400 or DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de/de/ark/products/97129/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Edited by Zonediver
1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

Your RAM is running at 2666MHz? Then it's overclocked. The Stock RAM Frequ of the i7-7700K is DDR4-2400 - so change it at the BIOS "by hand" and then do a MemTest.

FYI:

Supported RAM-Type: DDR4-2133/2400 or DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de/de/ark/products/97129/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Yes this is the bios and change it by hand? the options I could find on the drop down menu was XMP profile ... or Auto from what i could find out is that auto option was the non XMP option?

12 minutes ago, Rovivrus said:

Yes this is the bios and change it by hand? the options I could find on the drop down menu was XMP profile ... or Auto from what i could find out is that auto option was the non XMP option?

Switch you BIOS-View to "Advanced Mode" (F6)

Go to the RAM-Settings and set the Frequenzy to 2400 - and leave the Option to "Auto" - this is only for the Preset - you can still change every RAM-Setting by hand as well - and DONT use XMP!

XMP means "Extreme Memory Profiles" > overclocking.

Edited by Zonediver
27 minutes ago, Rovivrus said:

yes I am aware of XMP but on the bios I couldn't find a 

XMP: <Select>

Enable

Disable

option. and it this that has thrown me.

Have you ever seen a BIOS-Screen?

There is no Option "XMP yes/no" - only two Settings: XMP or AUTO - you have to set it to "Auto"

14 minutes ago, Rovivrus said:

So, is it safe to stop the parity sync which it has not got this far ever!

Sure, this parity run was just to find out if the computer could actually be stable under certain circumstances. The next steps would be to start adding drives back and see where it starts causing issues.

The fact that it runs well with only 2 disks implies that the issue could be either power or SATA controller.

I guess the next step would be to connect the rest of the drives physically, both power and data, but don't set a new config, instead just start the sync again with only the two drives assigned.

(to zonedriver) Yes I have seen bois screen I find hard to navigate around them due to there use of colour but the actual options are easier due to them being name white on black. The older bios I found easier to navigate around them but the options are harder to read (due to there white on blue). So now I guess you are picking up on the fact that i am visually impaired - to almost blind. 

(to Jonathanm) Okay cool I will stop and make the change to the ram setting that Zonedriver point out.

after that can i move the 14tb that is currently data 1 to parity 2 because wish to have a fall back if the parity drive fails then add the 10Tb drives as you suggested one by one? 

13 minutes ago, Rovivrus said:

i move the 14tb that is currently data 1 to parity 2 because wish to have a fall back if the parity drive fails then add the 10Tb drives as you suggested one by one? 

Did you physically remove the drives before you started this new sync?

I'd like you to physically unplug all the drives except for the USB Unraid boot stick, and the two parity drives.

I have powered down to access the bios

for ram frequency to change 2666 to 2400.

that is done and is booted 

The only drives I have got connected are the two 14Tb drives the USB and the M.2 via PCIe adaptor board.

the way i was originally hoping to have them is:

Parity 1 & 2 being the two 14tB drives

Cache 1 & 2 being the 2TB SSD

Data 1 -6 being the six 10Tb drives

for Vm the M.2

And the unraid USB

So since we got parity 1 and data 1 (the two 14tb drives).

like you suggested add another to the mix.

but is it okay to try:

Parity 1 & 2 as the two 14Tb drives

Data 1 a single 10Tb drive?

or do you wish me to run the two 14tb drives as parity 1&2 first?

IMG_1202.JPG

46 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

the next step would be to connect the rest of the drives physically, both power and data, but don't set a new config, instead just start the sync again with only the two drives assigned.

I was trying to get you to put the drives back in but NOT add them to Unraid's array. That way they will be drawing power, but not actively involved in the data process.

Good troubleshooting only changes one thing at a time.

You could make more than one change at a time as long as you keep careful track of the changes (it would speed things up).   That does mean though that when/if you DO get a problem again you need to go back to the last working configuration and start making changes one at a time to find out exactly which one broke things.

35 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I was trying to get you to put the drives back in but NOT add them to Unraid's array. That way they will be drawing power, but not actively involved in the data process.

Good troubleshooting only changes one thing at a time.

Okay, thank for that so with that I will try next is adding the two cache drives next then. then take it one at a time for the data drives at present the are five remaining. is 25 mins a good window of time for the each test?

Ah, right I see what you mean now. I only got to the SATA leads since getting to the sata power leads would be a problem. the case I am using is the cooler master cosmos C700P and their metal shrouds covering the drives and PSU you have to have to remove 3 screws on the shroud covering the rear of the drives. is awkward getting to them when I have another full tower case with water cooled pc in. So last Saturday I had the yearly task of that pc's maintenance and I decided it was time to swap out that machines radiator and redone it tubing. So I took that opportunity to take out the 750watt PSU from the Unraid server and replaced it with new 1000watt power supply so that there are more power leads to share the power draw by the 10 drives. 

So, with this the power draw remained the same today and we looking at the array. sorry :(

But if it had no issue with the 14tb drives one parity and one data setup but the all the drives where powered is starting to be safe to rule out power as an issue?

and now this server has been up for 45mins and it is still responding and has not locked up.

Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 17.48.01.png

• trurl locked this topic