110 posts in this topic Last Reply

???? odd it is a brand new drive. could other factors that could of produced an error reading for instance a loose connection or something? 

SMART test isn't influenciet by cables, disk should still be under warranty, and a failed SMART test is more than enough to get a replacement.

29 minutes ago, Rovivrus said:

???? odd it is a brand new drive. could other factors that could of produced an error reading for instance a loose connection or something? 

Probably got dropped on the floor at some point between manufacturing and now.

If possible you need to return for refund and get a new drive, manufacturers warranty will likely replace it with a refurb.

this pc build is just getting more, and more. At least now we system seems to be a lot more stable and it appears we are done with the whole thing completely locking up only to find a failing hard drive.

I hope there are no more surprises with getting the machine up and running.

now I have got to find that 1 out of the 6! is there away that the system can Identify the hard drive name serial to a sata port?

1 hour ago, Rovivrus said:

is there away that the system can Identify the hard drive name serial to a sata port?

Simpler and more certain to just look at the serial number printed on each disk label.

Hello Sorry about responding now I was making space to remove that one bad drive.

So to stop me have the issue of Identify which drive is what drive on the system. I have gone and labelled each bay by disk number and suck another label on with the drive letter eg she, she... but getting to it was the biggest problem since it is behind the desk and wider another tower it has take from are last post until now to retrieve that one disk.

I wish they put their label in large print (16ppt +). 

so now we are ready to deal with the company and what they want us to do?....

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 16.39.43.png

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

15 minutes ago, Rovivrus said:

another label on with the drive letter

The letter designation is not guaranteed to be the same after each reboot, and will often change when changing disks. A more useful descriptor is a few characters from the serial number that are different between disks. For many models, the last 4 characters is enough.

I will change the labels next time I am needed to go into the case. I just finished with the tidying up. I am also a bit unsure if all are correct because at 8x magnification the O's and 0's look very much alike :( on the drive labels. at least with a label change over I only need to get to the one side that is facing me under the desk :) thank you for the heads up!

Okay, just of an update: Got in contact with where I got the drive form and they forwarded me on to Seagate. I did not know doing a return was such an big production, but is was kinda self explanatory. So I am hoping to get the drive in the post tomorrow. Hopefully soon a replacement that works back into the system. just thinking that might have to be a weekend job. So please do be surprised if there is no activity on there until the replacement drive appears. the opportunity of replacing the drive gives me the chance to update the labels as suggested.

Update: The replacement drive has shown up today :) I will not be able to install into the machine until the weekend :( So fingers crossed.....