What's the correct way to add a kernel module?

22 minutes ago, juchong said:

I'm working on adding support for iomemory devices (or at least properly documenting the method for building support) and can't figure out how to manually install kernel modules onto the USB drive. Can anyone tell me what the right way to do this is?

Thanks!

You can do this with my Unraid-Kernel-Helper:

If you have any furtger questions feel free to ask. ;)

20 hours ago, ich777 said:

You can do this with my Unraid-Kernel-Helper:

If you have any furtger questions feel free to ask. ;)

Thanks! I'm moving over my hacked-together build process into your build script for testing. If this works out, would you consider adding this feature to the Docker?

14 minutes ago, juchong said:

Thanks! I'm moving over my hacked-together build process into your build script for testing. If this works out, would you consider adding this feature to the Docker?

Man what even is this... :D :D :D

If this is only a Kernel Module you can integrate that easily. ;)

Eventually but I don't think that many people have this card :D

EDIT: Enable the Custom build mode and the container will copy over the build script to the main directory... Edit it and then run it from there.

37 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Man what even is this... :D :D :D

If this is only a Kernel Module you can integrate that easily. ;)

Eventually but I don't think that many people have this card :D

EDIT: Enable the Custom build mode and the container will copy over the build script to the main directory... Edit it and then run it from there.

You'd be surprised! There seems to be a lot of interest from folks looking to add these to their servers since the prices have dropped dramatically in the past few years (link). I personally got my hands on a 6.4TB card for ~$400, so I've got a lot of incentive to get this working!

It's just a kernel module, but I have to pull a few .txz files needed for the compile. Not a big deal. :)

I'm running tests now, but everything seems to be happy! Do you have a GitHub repo I can make a pull request in?

7 minutes ago, juchong said:

It's just a kernel module, but I have to pull a few .txz files needed for the compile. Not a big deal.

Has it other dependencies...?

You know my container is based on Debian if you need to install things you can run 'apt-get install ...' oh and of course 'apt-get upadate' in the first place. ;)

8 minutes ago, juchong said:

I'm running tests now, but everything seems to be happy! Do you have a GitHub repo I can make a pull request in?

Yes, but since I'm running a Gitea server it would be better to send me the changes as a PM or over IRC.

13 hours ago, juchong said:

It's just a kernel module, but I have to pull a few .txz files needed for the compile. Not a big deal. :)

Any update on this? Can I help with something?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to successfully compile and install the latest version of the driver on beta30 using your docker container! I've even gone as far as to add the necessary variables so that the code fits nicely within your current script. I've also been able to move away from using .txz files in favor of dkms. This ended up simplifying the compilation process quite a bit and should hopefully make it somewhat future-proof. I still have to figure out the custom udev rules and perform more testing, but otherwise things look good on the 5.8.13 kernel!

/dev/fioa1:
 Timing cached reads:   25754 MB in  1.99 seconds = 12950.66 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 6038 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2012.51 MB/sec

Edited by juchong
  • Like 1
  • 2 years later...

hello

it would be great to get drivers for the HP Fusion iodrive

under debian I can compile the drivers myself

here are the sources:

https://github.com/RemixVSL

for the iodrive 2 you need the VSL 3 drivers:
https://github.com/RemixVSL/iomemory-vsl

but in unraid this is not so easy

i tested truenas (there i could use the drive)
but now I'm back to unraid, it's just the nicer system !

my system: HP ML10v2
with xeon, 32gb ram, 256gb sata pro ssd and 10gbit lan
i use a ZFS mirror (16TB) which i mount on disk1

and now the IOdrive (700GB) should be set up as cache, L2ARC and ZIL / LOG

with a little guidance I like to do it myself,
but a plugin would be great

there are a lot of people who bought such a server SSD recently, you can read it in the forums, mostly they end up with OMV or truenas or other debian based NAS systems

But many would like to use unraid

Greetings
from Hamburg

Ingo

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)