Disks overheating

I'm running Version: 6.8.3 and for the past 5 or so years everything has been running smoothly. I've noticed recently that I've had disks that are displaying red notices saying its overheating. I cleaned out the dust in the box and all 3 bays still have working fans. I'm starting to think it's a false positive. It's about 25c in my office and the disk says it's hitting 76c. Curious to hear any tips or suggestions on how to handle this.

Thanks!

If you have several disks reporting high temperature, it is probably something to look into quite seriously.

If it is one drive it is possible that the drive is sending wrong data, it happened to me.

Had to get rid of the drive since my Synology was removing it from the array when SMART was hitting 100+°C. The disk was barely warm in reality.

In any case, you have to confirm the disk temperature.

Edited by ChatNoir

Doesn't look like any are currently hot.

Parity has this:

Power Cycle Min/Max Temperature:     23/63 Celsius
Lifetime    Min/Max Temperature:      4/71 Celsius

Disk4 has this which seems unlikely:

Power Cycle Min/Max Temperature:     -127/127 Celsius
Lifetime    Min/Max Temperature:     -127/127 Celsius

and the fact that 127 is the largest 7-bit number also makes it suspect

19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Parity reached 63C in this latest cycle (and 71C in the past), that's way too hot.

Right but... I don't think it did. It's 25c in the room with the unraid machine. It's happened a few different times. I just fail to see how it can get that hot.

Disk 4 is the other one that gets toasty... seems clear that's a false positive.

Edited by Pandemic

One could be a false positive, several probably not.

The case I had was a +100°C false positive, so I was pretty sure it was not real.

6x to 7x°C seems plausible, are you sure your cooling is adequate and working fine ?

What kind of temp you usually see on your drives (low load / high load like parity check) ?

The funny thing is disk 4 has about 9gb used of 4tb. It's almost never even used. I can move the machine to a different location - been meaning to do that anyway since it's so loud.

Disk 1 is used almost daily:

Lifetime    Min/Max Temperature:      4/50 Celsius

50c is quite high, I'll deal with moving the machine and see what happens.