Which 3 TB drive should I buy?

I never have problem with GREEN, since many friends recommended RED. I got 2 RED yesterday.

preclear on one of RED really slow, speed often below 15MB/sec

I canceled the preclear and ran smart = lot of pending error. I guess RMA tomorrow.

That might be the fault of the shipper.  I've become an ex Newegg drive shopper - when it comes to WD drives anyway.  All of my DOA's on WD have been from them including 2 RED's.  Haven't bought many from Amazon or SuperBiiz yet but they have all been perfect so far.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've become an ex Newegg drive shopper - when it comes to WD drives anyway.

I had become mostly an ex-Newegg shopper, but they had the Reds on sale for $135 weekend before last, so I ordered 2 more 3TB Reds and 5 4TB Seagate NAS units for a friend ... over $1300 worth of drives.    I am NOW a very firm EX-Newegg shopper when it comes to hard drives.    Too bad, as I've they HAVE been a good supplier over the years (I've spent tens of thousands there), but this last order takes the cake.    They just arrived Thursday, so I'm still in the process of testing them all -- and it actually seems that all but 2 or 3 actually survived okay [a testament to the 250G non-operating shock rating for the Reds and 300G rating for the Seagate NAS units) ... but I wouldn't have been surprised if all 7 had been destroyed !!

I'll have an initial pre-clear on all the drives done by tomorrow afternoon ... and will then be on the phone with Newegg getting RMAs for those that had issues.    I'm tempted to RMA the entire box full ... but most of them do seem to be okay.    The drives were all in 1/2 of a Styrofoam drive container that was very thoroughly wrapped with plastic bubble wrap ... but that bundle was loose in the box, which had NO packing peanuts -- it basically just bounced around in the box during shipment; and since the box had nothing to fill it up, it just got hammered by anything that hit it as well.  This was an unbelievable packing job !!

The following is the box of drives I had waiting for me when I got home Thursday night ...

Newegg_Box_with_4TB_Drives_-_2.jpg.46f3205849e58345fb2d4ce9e3980dc1.jpg

I'm in the US.  It's only fair to note that Newegg DID take very good care of me when I sent them those pictures and noted that 3 of the drives I had received had less-than-perfect results in the detailed tests I ran on them (pre-clears) ... they replaced the drives with no questions asked;  overnighted the replacements in advance of me returning them; and sent a prepaid return label.    By the way, the box the replacements arrived in was PRISTINE  :)  It could have been assembled and packed outside my front door !!

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered the parts for my first unRAID box (see sig)

Now at the moment i only have 2TB discs. But it seems like a no brainer that a 3TB parity drive would give me better options later on.

So the question is which 3TB drive should i choose as my parity drive. (keep in mind i don't have a money tree in the back garden)

Toshiba StorE Canvio Harddisk 3 TB (external disc, but it should be possible to free it from it's cage)

Price 797 dkk (143$)

WD Green WD30EZRX 3 TB

Price 871 dkk (156$)

WD Red WD30EFRX 3 TB

Price 967 dkk (173$)

I've ordered the parts for my first unRAID box (see sig)

Now at the moment i only have 2TB discs. But it seems like a no brainer that a 3TB parity drive would give me better options later on.

So the question is which 3TB drive should i choose as my parity drive. (keep in mind i don't have a money tree in the back garden)

Toshiba StorE Canvio Harddisk 3 TB (external disc, but it should be possible to free it from it's cage)

Price 797 dkk (143$)

WD Green WD30EZRX 3 TB

Price 871 dkk (156$)

WD Red WD30EFRX 3 TB

Price 967 dkk (173$)

Consider moving to 4TB drives. Yes, they are more expensive, but a swap from 2TB to 3TB yields 1TB increase while the swap from 2TB to 4TB yields twice as much for ~33% more.

Of the three listed, I would choose the lowest cost. All of the drives will hold 3TB and fail eventually, likely outside of warranty.

I don't agree with choosing the lowest cost option.  A few extra $$ for greater reliability is money well spent.    I DO agree with considering 4TB drives ... especially for your parity drive (so you can use up to 4TB data drives).

I'd go with either WD Reds (for 3TB units) or Seagate NAS drives (4TB units).    Both are superb drives;  perform very well while using lower power than most other drives (the WD Reds are especially good in this regard);  and have 50% longer warranties than most other desktop drives (3 yrs instead of 2).

Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000 4 TB

Price 1342.- (239$)

But i think these prices are insane.

$239 for a high quality 4TB drive "insane" ??? !!

It's all relative.    The first hard drive I bought was a 26MB Seagate drive.  Yes, that's MB ... the "M" is not a typo.    It cost $4500 [and that included a 10% discount  :) ]

Price 1342.- (239$)

It's all relative.    The first hard drive I bought was a 26MB Seagate drive.  Yes, that's MB ... the "M" is not a typo.    It cost $4500 [and that included a 10% discount  :) ]

What can i say i'm a cheap *beeep*

That been said, i'm glad that you guys only point out the best of the best.

Price 1342.- (239$)

What can i say i'm a cheap *beeep*

That been said, i'm glad that you guys only point out the best of the best.

Keep in mind your parity drive can run a lot more that your data drives depending on how your shares are set up. I always by a high quality parity drive.

I get the point with the parity drive being the workhorse in the setup.

I'm 75% certain that i'm gonna go with the WD RED 3TB disk as the parity drive.

Choosing this drive would give me a potential 33TB discspace total (11+1) and i'm pretty sure that when the time comes and this is maxed out, my UCD is peaking and i'm gonna build a second box. 

Choosing this drive would give me a potential 33TB discspace total (11+1) and i'm pretty sure that when the time comes and this is maxed out, my UCD is peaking and i'm gonna build a second box.

Of course choosing the Seagate 4TB NAS drive for parity would make that potential total 44TB  8)

Of course choosing the Seagate 4TB NAS drive for parity would make that potential total 44TB  8)

I know  :-\

I wish WD RED had a 4TB on the market now, that would give seagate some competition.

The case in Denmark is that the 3TB WD is 100.- Dkk cheaper than the Seagate 3TB NAS, and the RED is by far the most popular 3TB disc.

And as far as insane goes.

Price 1342.- (239$)

can't find any WD red 4TB drives.

I wasn't thinking straight. In the beginning of the year i got 2x 2TB ST2000DM001 Seagate 7200 And the price for those 2 were close to the price for the 4TB NAS , given that the NAS is in another league than a "regular" drive.

I think that the thing that makes it insane is subconsciously i "only" get 1 item for the 239$ and when i got the ST2000's it was 2 items.

(hope this makes just a little sence)

Newegg had a sale on the 3TB Seagates for $110 this past week. I picked up five of them and like usual they were packaged well by Newegg. They were in styrofoam withgslots designed to hold hard drives. Which is how Newegg has typically shipped me my drives.

Although when I did the clearing process in my unRAID I was having issues with one drive. So when I attached it to my PC and transferred some files it initially transferred at 160+MB/s but then quickly dropped to almost a zero transfer rate. So I ran Seatools diagnostic on the drive and it failed. I need to ship the one Seagate 3TB drive back to Newegg for an exchange. And least Newegg pays for return shipping.

• 3 years later...

Quick question

WD red 4Tb €169

Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB €167

I have good experience with WD disks and I know how to RMA a WD disk.

I think I have read that Hitachi is a bit more reliable.

Is it worth it to try Hitachi?

I think so - especially since it appears cheaper in your post above.  Also WD owns HGST (new name for Hitachi after WD bought them).  I've had several 3TB WD Red drives fail.  Zero failures with 6TB HGST.  Have also had zero failures with 4TB Red WD.

Quick question

WD red 4Tb €169

Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB €167

I have good experience with WD disks and I know how to RMA a WD disk.

I think I have read that Hitachi is a bit more reliable.

Is it worth it to try Hitachi?

With a €2 difference I'd say it's irrelevant ... that's certainly not enough of a price difference to matter.    Simple fact is they are BOTH excellent drives, with very good reliability records.    To date, I have not had ANY failures with WD Reds (out of perhaps 30 drives purchased) but have also not had any failures with HGST NAS units (out of about 5 I've bought).

• JorgeB unpinned this topic