[SOLVED] SMBus is busy, can't use it!

Hello all,

The past day or so, the webgui on my server has been intermittently unresponsive. My Plex container also seemed to stop working. When I checked the log files, I keep seeing SMBus is busy, can't use it! over and over again. I know I had this issue when using the Dynamix temp plugin, but I've since removed that. This is driving me crazy. Anyone have any ideas? Attaching a diagnostics zip. Not sure which log files are appropriate, so if I'm missing any information, please let me know. Thanks!

blackpearl-diagnostics-20201006-1009.zip

29 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Try booting in safe mode, if that doesn't help you recretae the flash drive and restore only super.dat (disk assignments) and you key, if that helps then re-add the other config files a few at a time or just reconfigure the server.

If safe mode doesn't work and I start with only super.dat and my registration key, what will be missing? Will I have to recreate my docker containers etc? Or will all that just come over from the array (and cache drive in my case of the appdata folder, VMs, etc.)

3 minutes ago, LittleMike said:

what will be missing?

All expect the disk assignments, everything else will use the defaults.

4 minutes ago, LittleMike said:

Or will all that just come over from the array (and cache drive in my case of the appdata folder, VMs, etc.)

You also need to copy the templates from the flash drive and configure the docker paths to be the same as they were, if not using default ones.

Just now, JorgeB said:

All expect the disk assignments, everything else will use the defaults.

You also need to copy the templates from the flash drive and configure the docker paths to be the same as they were, if not using default ones.

Gotcha. Okay, I'll have to prepare that, then. I had some customizations for many of my containers.

Just tried booting in safe mode, loaded up the webui and hit the button to show logs - same thing.

Oct 9 14:10:43 BlackPearl webGUI: Successful login user root from 192.168.1.10
Oct 9 14:10:47 BlackPearl kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: Timeout waiting for interrupt!
Oct 9 14:10:47 BlackPearl kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: Transaction timeout
Oct 9 14:10:47 BlackPearl kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: Failed terminating the transaction
Oct 9 14:10:47 BlackPearl kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: SMBus is busy, can't use it!
Oct 9 14:10:47 BlackPearl kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: Transaction failed
Oct 9 14:10:47 BlackPearl kernel: i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: SMBus is busy, can't use it!

Attaching latest diagnostics, in case it helps

blackpearl-diagnostics-20201009-1411.zip

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

The templates have the paths as previously configured. Just use the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page to use the templates.

Gotcha, so if I copy the templates over, I don't have to manually set the paths, I can just choose them from the previous apps and my "custom" versions will populate in the GUI, correct?

So just an update - everything appears to be working! Thanks, all! I have an uptime of about 30 minutes now and not one single SMBus error. I didn't reinstall IPMI or the Dynamix systemp plugins, so I have no idea what my temps are, but small price to pay. Maybe that will get figured out at a later time, but all my containers came in, my shares, everything (after copying a couple of files over). I'm super happy for all the help.

• Like 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] SMBus is busy, can't use it!
  • 4 weeks later...

I had this issue too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been an issue for months, and even had an issue where one of my windows machines would always crash Explorer.exe whenever navigating to an unraid share (but not the other two windows 10 machines in the house, oddly enough).

I was able to solve it by clicking Unload Drivers in the Dynamix system settings plugin. I did not have to uninstall the plugin, just unload the kernel modules. Did not have to reinstall unraid or anything else.

Fixed my issue with my windows 10 machine causing explorer to crash with not responding.

Also fixed the smbus is busy spamming the syslogs like crazy.

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!

Edited by glompy
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this issue came back randomly several weeks ago. So I tried upgrading to 6.9 did not solve the issue. 

Looks like something else is loading kernel drivers that is breaking this on some windows machines.

Unload modules in Dynamix system settings plugin just "happened" to refresh the kernel and fix it, but as soon as the server restarts it comes back.

I'm at a loss.

• 5 months later...