Planned switch to AMD | need hardware recommendations

Maddeen

Hi there, 

due to the very good price I plan to send my i7 6700 to the retirement and make a change to AMD Ryzen 9 (or) 7 series with a B550 board

Depends on the keynote tomorrow. 

Can some one provide me some information that can be very essential or maybe some incompatibility with unraid? 

About my unRAID server/ my needs / requirements:

Running unRaid headless (HDMI dummy at the HDMI Mainboard-Port) 

Using plex/pi-hole as dockers

And running only one Win10 Gaming VM - Q35 with a passthrough NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super // a NVMe Samsung 970 m.2 and an USB controller for separate keyboard/mouse.  

In addition to have more SATA ports I also installed a PCI-E extension card with a JMicron JMS585 chipset. 

And I plan to add a 10GB-NiC asap - either by another PCI-E extension card or maybe built-in in my new B550 board. (not sure if there is any MB with a 10GB-NiC)

If anybody got a recommendation for a 10Gbe PCI-E extenstion card --- you're welcome :) 

What I know so far is not that much 🙈 I just found out that I need to buy a cheap PCI-E GPU because the AMD CPUs dont have a IGPU. 

And thats it - I doesn't found any further problems/challenges for Ryzen 9/7 - all other struggels seems to relate on using a Threadripper. 

Thanks in advance for any help or information regarding my planed upgrade. 

Edited by Maddeen
Hi there, 

due to the very good price I plan to send my i7 6700 to the retirement and make a change to AMD Ryzen 9 (or) 7 series with a B550 board
Depends on the keynote tomorrow. 

Can some one provide me some information that can be very essential or maybe some incompatibility with unraid? 

About my unRAID server/ my needs / requirements:
Running unRaid headless (HDMI dummy at the HDMI Mainboard-Port) 
Using plex/pi-hole as dockers
And running only one Win10 Gaming VM - Q35 with a passthrough NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super // a NVMe Samsung 970 m.2 and an USB controller for separate keyboard/mouse.  
In addition to have more SATA ports I also installed a PCI-E extension card with a JMicron JMS585 chipset. 
And I plan to add a 10GB-NiC asap - either by another PCI-E extension card or maybe built-in in my new B550 board. (not sure if there is any MB with a 10GB-NiC)

What I know so far is not that much  I just found out that I need to buy a cheap PCI-E GPU because the AMD CPUs dont have a IGPU. 
And thats it - I doesn't found any further problems/challenges for Ryzen 9/7 - all other struggels seems to relate on using a Threadripper. 

Thanks in advance for any help or information regarding my planed upgrade. 

B550 Motherboards is not good for iommu groups. I don't know if a bios correct this. Choose an x570 it's better.

Envoyé de mon HD1913 en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, rachid596 said:

B550 Motherboards is not good for iommu groups. I don't know if a bios correct this. Choose an x570 it's better.

Envoyé de mon HD1913 en utilisant Tapatalk

Any recommendation? Also it's better a 10Gbps pcie card or buy a complete solution inside the own motherboard? Thanks.

Ok - After analyzing a lot of mainboard test regarding PCI-E Lane Sharing, SATA-Ports and M.2 connectivity - only two mainboards remain to fit my needs. 

1) ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)

2) Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

Are there some members here who already have one of those in combination with a Ryzen CPU and can share their experience?

Thanks in advance - have a nice weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (non-wifi). I would not recomend you to buy this board. I have two gpus but can only use one of them as the system hogs one of them and stubbing does not make any difference. I have a multi-controller USB pci-e x4 whitch I can't connect, so I had to use a single controller usb x1 to be able to get some more usable usb-ports for vm's. Adding a third pci-x1 gpu to use as dummy disables the network. 

• Like 1