Help with new build not powering on

RockDawg

I decided to rebuild my server and I am have serious issues.  Here's my hardware:

AMD Threadripper 2950X (used)

Asrock Rack X399D8A-2T (new)

4 x 16GB Kingston KSM26ED8/16ME (new) listed on the QVL for the motherboard

I received all my components a couple weeks ago and set about putting it together.  Problem is the motherboard would not power on.  I would get the standby power and BMC heartbeat lights but nothing beyond that.  PSU fan wouldn't spin, CPU fans wouldn't spin, no beeps or any other indicators.  I could login to the IPMI and it woudn;t power on that way either.  I thought maybe the PSU so I picked up a new one.  Same thing.  Contacted Asrock tech support guy and he had me try the system out of the case to eliminate a short.  Didn;t help.  The he had me reset the CMOS and give him BIOS version.  Reset didn't help and he said the board must be bad.  

So I RMA'd it and just received the replacement.  It's doing the exact same thing.  I've tried just the bare board; just the board and CPU; and board, CPU and RAM.  Doesn't matter.  Acts the same no matter what.  My big fear is that the CPU (which I purchased used) is bad.  Would that cause this?  If not, what the heck could be going on here?  Any ideas?

7 hours ago, RockDawg said:

My big fear is that the CPU (which I purchased used) is bad.

Seems to be, but not all fault symptom match. Even CPU fault, mainboard should can be power-on just no POST.

When you press power button, does CPU fan have rotate a short time ?

What debug code show ?

Edited by Vr2Io

I finally figured out the issue.  I purchased the CPU used and it's my first ever Ryzen system build.  So I've never dealt with this type of socket before.  It turns out the previous owner must have removed the CPU from the orange, plastic holder and when they reinstalled it put it in backwards.  I never thought to check that and only figured it out today because I ordered a new 2950X and when I went to install it noticed the CPU orientation was different between the two.  rotated the used one in the holder and it works.

Two motherboards, an extra PSU and an extra CPU later the problem is identified.  What a mess this turned out to be.

They work independent, mainboard sensor and CPU die sensor. Mainboard BIOS/IPMI usually showing mainboard sensor.

Unraid have a plugin can read both, coretemp and onboard, my 1920x have two CPU die temp and several mainboard temp.

1 hour ago, RockDawg said:

Just wondering if swapping the CPU might make it work.  

Not sure, but CPU die temp was reading

in registers, so not likely broken by wrong insert the CPU.

Edited by Vr2Io

You found one CPU haven't reading, then you may expect it damage because CPU have insert in wrong orientation.

But it may not be happen, those sensor may not tapout to contact pin and they not readout directly, you are reading CPU register for the temperature.

Edited by Vr2Io

I think language translation is making this hard for me to understand.  Are you saying it might be damage resulting from inserting the wrong orientation?  Would that be damage to the CPU or motherboard?  Would you try the 2nd CPU.  I am hesitant because that CPU has never been installed or had any thermal grease on it and I may need to return/sell it if the other one is working fine.