[SOLVED] Unraid on Qnap TS-453B mini

Xutho

Dear folks,

at the moment i try to get unraid running on my old QNAP-TS453B mini.

But only 2 HDD´s are recognized (should be 4) so i found out QNAP is using 2 different controllers... one intel and one marvell 88SE9215 (i think is the one in my qnap) and i know already there are many "issues" with marvell controller so i tried the suggested fix to edit my syslinux.conf (insert iommu=pt) but without success.... also i tried to deactivate all virtualization support in bios but also nothing :/
Also i tried to get an BIOS Update by QNAP but "they didn´t update the Bios only OS" (answer from german Qnap support)

So now i tried the current 6.90.beta30 Version but same story.. Maybe you guy´s have an idea .. i want to install unraid on the qnap as backup NAS for my current unraid setup and i didn´t want go with QNAP-OS :/ 

Regards

Xutho

tower-diagnostics-20201008-1310.zip

The other controller is Asmedia:

01:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device [1b21:0625] (rev ff)
    Kernel modules: ahci

But it's failing to initialize:

Oct  8 04:03:31 Tower kernel: ahci 0000:01:00.0: controller reset failed (0xffffffff)
Oct  8 04:03:31 Tower kernel: ahci: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -5

According to this booting with pci=noacpi solves the issue, it's probably an unknown controller with Linux.

• Like 2
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Unraid on Qnap TS-453B mini
  • 1 month later...
On 10/8/2020 at 8:03 PM, Xutho said:

JorgeB you are my hero!!! Thank you so much :D
image.png.ecb6d90946a5bb2bce0c1d8e96d1d848.png
worked like a charm 🥳

Hope you're still here, I'm wanting to use this. Got everything to boot, but when I'm writing from one drive to another without parity, Unraid is having a ton of issues moving files. Max 50MB/s on a 35GB file. Are you having this issue as well?

1 minute ago, AshranPewter said:

Hope you're still here, I'm wanting to use this. Got everything to boot, but when I'm writing from one drive to another without parity, Unraid is having a ton of issues moving files. Max 50MB/s on a 35GB file. Are you having this issue as well?

Hi AshranPewter,

no sorry,  all is working fine for me just copied a bunch of data:
image.png.acd9e1eb686f82a326ada4e4472cbafa.png

32 minutes ago, AshranPewter said:

I guess that's about the same as mine, I would expect it to be a bit higher but maybe a limitation of the processor or system. What is this plugin you have above? Maybe I can compare using it.

Thanks for the reply!

Thats the default config under "stats" --> "system stats" 
But notice the copy from above is via local network not local ;) when my copy-job is done i will make an additional local one and post it here

• 2 weeks later...

@Xutho and anyone else that reads this thread later one with questions.

pci=noacpi has huge implications on speed in my testing. I was getting a lot of call traces in my logs and was concerned about long term safety of my data.

Using pcie_port_pm=off instead is far better per the kernel bug report link from earlier, temps are far better as well for all of my stuff. My processor isn't at 100% on one core consistently and instead of 40MB/s parity checks, I get 190MB/s parity checks.

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by AshranPewter
  • Like 1

Ya maybe my bios version is different (mine is SAG5AR21 which you can find with the command 'dmidecode -s bios-version') or the hardware is a different revision?

I went through a lot of troubleshooting haha.

I even started conversation with QNAP to get a newer bios, though that is still ongoing.

J3455 apparently has signal degradation issues over time and fixed with newer bios, down the rabbit hole...