Shucked WDC WD101EMAZ-11G7DA0

4 hours ago, strahd_zarovich said:
I typically shuck my drives from WD Elements or easystores. I just got two drives from Amazon that where WDC WD101EMAZ-11G7DA0 models. These things run super hot. In the low 50C's. Has anyone else come across these drives?

Someone noted recently that WD is now putting air sealed drives in the external enclosures instead of the Helium sealed drives.  The Helium sealed drives supposedly run about 15C cooler under load; probably 5-10C cooler at idle or light use.  

You can verify this by clicking on a disk in unRAID and checking its attributes.  22 is Helium level.  If this is missing, you have an air sealed drive.

Fortunately, all of my shucked drives are 8 TB EMAZ/EFZX drives which are all Helium.

Edited by Hoopster

Guess which one is the air drive, thats correct... The EDAZ. Second drive down is right next to it so runs a little hotter.

The coolest drive is in a seperate enclosure with better cooling.

Current rebuilding (replacement) the bottom drive so all drives have been active for hours.

image.png.818eacdd58430f2ed5b0423f433aa3eb.png

6 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Someone noted recently that WD is now putting air sealed drives in the external enclosures instead of the Helium sealed drives.  The Helium sealed drives supposedly run about 15C cooler under load; probably 5-10C cooler at idle or light use.  

You can verify this by clicking on a disk in unRAID and checking its attributes.  22 is Helium level.  If this is missing, you have an air sealed drive.

Fortunately, all of my shucked drives are 8 TB EMAZ/EFZX drives which are all Helium.

It follows the WD Red change which went from helium (100) to air (101).

That said, I still random batches of drives with helium drives (Ultrastar He), so its a lottery, probably filling with surplus inventory.

Right now my air drives are running at 31C, where as my helium drives are at 26C

15 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

It follows the WD Red change which went from helium (100) to air (101).

That said, I still random batches of drives with helium drives (Ultrastar He), so its a lottery, probably filling with surplus inventory.

Right now my air drives are running at 31C, where as my helium drives are at 26C

That is pretty funny. I checked the box and it said 100, but once they got plugged into my server they show up as 101's.

I wanted to see what WD would say:

Dear WD customer service,

On 4OCT2020 I bought 2 WDBWLG0100HBK-NESN from Amazon. The 100 in the model means helium filled according to your website. Both arrived in factory sealed boxes as expected. Once I started the verifying process I quickly saw the temperatures set off alerts. Both drives were running around 53C to 55C over 12C higher than the other drives I have. When I went and verified the model numbers I find that the drives I received are WD101EMAZ-11G7DA0 with the 101 meaning air filled drives. This is a different model then what is on the box they came out of. Is it normal for Western Digital to do this? Put different parts and models in boxes?

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Danny.

I understand that you are facing the issue with the drive. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Based on your concern, I would like to inform you that wd does provide an upgraded model number to avoid product delays.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.
Sincerely,
Danny
Western Digital Technical Support
http://support-en.wd.com

Dear Customer,

Thank you for continued response, we appreciate your time and patience.  My name is Albert S.

Based on the images provided and as you earlier mentioned that you removed the drive from enclosure for cooling.

I regret to to mentioned but it occurs to me you took the internal drive out of the enclosure and doing so will void the drive's warranty.

However, if I misunderstood the situation I request you to share below mentioned information:

Image of the enclosure from which you removed the Internal drives.

Were the drives were in us?

Were the drive looked like one in the link mentioned below? Y/N

https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/264/track/AvPFmwqqDv8S~cDaGnoe~yJjj88qyi75Mv_C~zj~PP9L

It is my pleasure assisting your case and here is the case number for future references: 201012-003042

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Albert S

Final Update

Dear Customer,

Thank you for continued response, we appreciate your time and patience.  My name is Albert S.

Based on your response as you agreed to open the casing of the device that voids the warranty policy I recommend you to refer the link mentioned below:

WORLDWIDE WARRANTY POLICY AND LIMITATIONS

https://support-en.wd.com/app/Warranty_Policy/track/AvPFmwqqDv8S~RfaGkwe~yJjj88qyi75Mv87~zj~PP~y

Please be informed that WD Elements drive are non user serviceable and we never recommend our cx to perform any maintenance activity instead we directly offer any replacement.

Any inconvenience being caused is deeply regretted.
It is my pleasure assisting your case and here is the case number for future references: 201012-003042

Sincerely,
Albert S

1 hour ago, sota said:

you bought 'em from amazon.  stick 'em back in their cases, box 'em back up, and return them "Item not as described."

How are then not as described? The external drive isn't marketed as Helium filled, buyers are making assumptions about the product ID containing a specific base drive. There will be text that allows WD to make reasonable variations.

I have a couple of the 'Air' drives. They work fine with ~10% higher throughput than the Helium drives. The do run a little warmer but with moderate case cooling it isn't an issue. I'm seeing + 3-4C under sustained load at a low fan speed.

The high temps reported are for continous load in a poorly ventilated plastic shell.

WD is moving aware from using the He10 drives in anything other than the highest capacities, take a look at the WD Gold product sheets which no longer state Helium fill on these lower capacities. Unless the drives are actually faulty in some way, the OP is unlikely to get anything at a better cost to TB ratio so what benefit in returning.

Someone here in the EU sent back the bare drive recently and got it replaced with a new external.   Always worth a punt, worst that can happen is they don't replace it.

• 2 months later...

On 12/30/2020 at 3:25 PM, sota said:

OP was referring to the model number on the actual drive, not on the shell.  Trailing zero appears to be consistent with Helium filled, and trailing 1 appears to be air filled.

But he could have not known this when buying the disk, so the explanation "not as described" does not fit.

The model number only tells you the enclosure contains a 10TB HDD. It does not specify exactly which kind of disk.